Cutting Angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When cutting angles I always end up with the wood being smaller than I need. Is there an estimate that would allow this regardless of the angle?

For example when I setup my tablesaw I set the guide to the size of wood I have and lock it in place. When I cut it I seem to lose some of the length or width (depending on what I am cutting) making everything else now smaller than intended.

Any help appreciated.

James

Sponsored Links
Cut a waste piece of wood to check the width of a saw-cut, then allow for that width when setting the guide.

Thanks I will give them a go. I was thinking if there is an estimate that people use when using angles as it would be worth knowing.

If I tested a cut at 45 degrees would this then be the same as a 30 degree cut for the width of cut or would I need to test for each angle I do?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
A tricky mitre angle can be creeped up on from an oversized cut.
The angles on these curved chair backs is a prime example.
A mistake here and I'd have ruined the curved pieces.
Ash_chair.png

Last edited:
Ok thanks so when getting my wood cut if I allow say 10mm more to allow for the angles? I will more than likely be doing 45 degrees for the most part but others when the occasion calls.

Thanks

James

It sounds almost like you are measuring the cut using the scale on the rip fence on a saw which tilts to the right, but that when you rip down timber you are expecting the measurement on the upper surface to be that on the rip scale. If so it won't be - the scale will indicate the measurement on the lower surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back