Rip cuts at an angle - lots of smoke, not much cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a funny shaped flat where most things meet at 80 or 100 degrees rather than right angles, so I'm building in lots of cupboards and things.

All going well except trying to put things on the wall to hand doors off. I need to make doorposts out of 2"x 2" or so, where one side is 10 degrees or so off. I've been trying to rip cut along the length at an angle with a circular saw, but I've only managed it once or twice. I normally get a load of smoke and a nasty jagged cut. Part of the trouble is gripping the piece as well as a guide without clamping the wood you're cutting through.

Are there any tricks I'm missing? Or is this the sort of thing you can only do in a proper workshop with a good table saw? I could try planing but I doubt I'd get it even.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
much much easier with a table saw
theres a fair chance something is going off line and binding with a circular saw

As BA says - easier and safer on a table saw. One thing, though, what type of blade do you have on the saw? If you are trying to make rip cuts in softwood with the same blade that you are using for the cupboard material, i.e. fine tooth/many teeth you are doomed to failure - and smoke. You need a coarse tooth rip blade, something with 8 to 16 teeth (depending on the size of the blade) and no more.

If you are having problems cutting in a straight line one trick to consider is to fix (screw) two (or more) pieces of 2 x 2 onto a scrap piece of MDF or plywood so that the base of the saw is supported whilst you make the cut. Make sure that you don't put the screws where the blade will run, though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back