Cutting cedar battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I'm having some cedar battens delivered tomorrow and will be starting to make the panels shortly. I have an Evolution 255DB+ compound mitre saw which has worked well for me so far. I currently have multipurpose blade that came with the saw on it. Do you think I should buy a fine wood cutting blade like this? https://shop.evolutionpowertools.com/collections/evolution-blades/products/255mm-fine-wood-blade-60t

Seems fairly pricey. I'm setting up a stop block which should aid the cutting process.

Any guidance/comments welcome.

Many thanks,

E

Sponsored Links
Making up screens that will hopefully look like this...
Proposed Pergola-screen.PNG

Start off with an experimental cut or two, see how it fairs ....

Dunno why you're looking for Evolution blades or on the Evolution website though, silly prices on there.

Sponsored Links
Hi!

I'm having some cedar battens delivered tomorrow and will be starting to make the panels shortly. I have an Evolution 255DB+ compound mitre saw which has worked well for me so far. I currently have multipurpose blade that came with the saw on it. Do you think I should buy a fine wood cutting blade like this? https://shop.evolutionpowertools.com/collections/evolution-blades/products/255mm-fine-wood-blade-60t

Seems fairly pricey. I'm setting up a stop block which should aid the cutting process.

Any guidance/comments welcome.

Many thanks,

E
I would get a Freud blade

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Start off with an experimental cut or two, see how it fairs ....

Dunno why you're looking for Evolution blades or on the Evolution website though, silly prices on there.
No me neither. It was because I was looking at which blade came with the saw. I've seen some much more reasonably priced wood blades now on other sites

If you add a timber fence and timber base it will virtually prevent any break out on the bottom and rear - set the depth stop so the blade doesn’t got right through the base.

No me neither. It was because I was looking at which blade came with the saw. I've seen some much more reasonably priced wood blades now on other sites
Be careful to get a blade with the correct bore.

250mm blades will also be fine.

Western Red Cedar is very soft so just cut through gently

as an aside
always cut for the largest panel/space first then any mistakes have somewhere else you can use them
when planning cutting long length economically, do not be overeconomic as you ideally need to allow for blade thickness x number off cuts plus say 20mm for uneven/damaged ends to be cut out
also note twists bows dammage curves and cut them out or iff you have to use most cut out plan big bits off movement on very short bits and in areas where visible is less obvious

allow between 5-10% extra for wastage
remember preworked size can be up to 18% smaller to actual size after machining so check for coverage[surface it will cover in use]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back