cutting direction angle grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the cutting direction always have to be in an upward motion?
It leads to some awkward ways to hold the tool.

Why can't you cut with the blade going downwards into the object?

Sponsored Links
Because then if it catches, it runs towards you and cuts your foot off.

And you get covered in sparks

...and upwards it runs toward your face?! :eek:

Should it always bu used in a side on cutting orientation then with you standing above the grinder or can you have it horizontal with the blade still cutting upwards through a tile, for example?

Grinders have threads for the handle on three sides, and you put the handle in the most suitable one, and this determines which way the grinder cuts.

It all depends on what/where/how you are cutting

Sponsored Links
...just spuriuos questions.
The grinder I was looking at only has a left and right handle so if you want to cut a tile standing behind the tile instead of above it, the chance exists for it to catch and go upwards.

Maybe I'd just be safer with a power wet saw bench thing for about £30.

DrGonzo said:

Maybe you would be safer just asking questions........... :rolleyes:

DrGonzo said:
...just spuriuos questions.
The grinder I was looking at only has a left and right handle so if you want to cut a tile standing behind the tile instead of above it, the chance exists for it to catch and go upwards.

For tiles yes, as these are specifically designed for the job, My old man bought the £30 plasplugs 'Tommy Walsh' jobbie to do our bathroom, but he's done loads of other tiling jobs with it since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back