Cutting fuel costs

rmh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The answer to this may seem obvious to those in the know but I was wondering how TRV's cut down running costs of a combi boiler central heating system?
I appreciate that they keep the temperature of the rad constant in a given room but how does this help the boiler? does it allow it to pump less water round the system or is it something else?
Also where is the best place to fit a system timer/thermostat?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they keep the rads cooler then it means the boiler is heating less water, isn't it.

I recommend room stats are placed in the main living area. There should be no TRV on this rad.

rob884 said:
I recommend room stats are placed in the main living area. There should be no TRV on this rad.
That's all very well, but what does the manufacturer say, and what do the Building Regulations say?

Sponsored Links
All rads except one in the room where the room thermostat is located must have a trv. Room stat provides 'boiler interlock' ;)

Softus said:
rob884 said:
That's all very well, but what does the manufacturer say, and what do the Building Regulations say?

If it's 'all very well' then i'd assume they say the same thing.

rob884 said:
That's just daft, but if you're comfortable with making that kind of assumption then so be it.

A lot of boiler manufacturers used to say that the rad without the trv should be about 10% of the total heating output. Don't know if this is still the case though :rolleyes:

Softus said:
rob884 said:
That's just daft, but if you're comfortable with making that kind of assumption then so be it.

Not too sure what exactly your refering to..the stat in lounge or rad without a TRV.

Maybe you'd be kind enough to explain what building regs do say regarding the matter.

rob884 said:
Softus said:
rob884 said:

Not too sure what exactly your refering to..the stat in lounge or rad without a TRV.

Maybe you'd be kind enough to explain what building regs do say regarding the matter.
Eh? I don't understand your replies, so I'll restate:

you said:
I wondered why you recommended it said:
But now it seems that you're asking me what the BRs say?!

Is this because you can't find them, or can't read then, or can't understand them? :confused:

rob884 said:
I stand by original post. :rolleyes:
Of course - why would you not stand by it?

However, why do you recommend the things that you recommend?

If not based on the MIs or the BRs, then you must have some sound technical reason for the recommendation, otherwise it's just someone's airy fairy opinion.

I don't think any regs state which room stat has to be in, other than can't be in bathroom because of electrics :eek:

I think it is down to personal survey and discussion with customer as to what room stat goes in and no trv fitted. Traditionally this has been the hall, but occasionally I have put them in the lounge. I have also refused to put it in dining room in terraced house which is linked to kitchen as heat from cooking would affect performance of room stat/heating system ;)

Softus said:
rob884 said:
I stand by original post. :rolleyes:
Of course - why would you not stand by it?

However, why do you recommend the things that you recommend?

If this isn't the worst excuse for an argument... :rolleyes:

As gas4you said there's no regs saying exactly where it should go BR or MI. I recommend they go in the lounge for reasons i can't be bothered to explain to you.

Sound technical reason, maybe not.

:rolleyes:

Softus
Your being deliberately obtuse and argumentative on this thread which is of no help to the OP.

From: Good Practice Guide 302 "Controls for domestic central heating and hot water" http://www.est.org.uk/bestpractice/uploads/publications/pdfs/GPG302.pdf

"A room thermostat should be sited in a regularly heated area that allows free circulation around it. It should not be exposed to draughts, and should be away from internal heat sources and direct sunlight. It should also be in a position that is readily accessible to the householder, eg not in cupboards or behind furniture.

The thermostat should be sited about 1.5 m above floor level, except where the occupants include a wheelchair user. In this case a suitable height in excess of 1 m should be agreed with the householder. The room thermostat should not be sited where supplementary room heating (eg gas, electric, solid fuel fire) will affect it. Appropriate positions will be in the hall or other living room (ie without supplementary heating). It should not be sited in a kitchen or combined kitchen/dining room and should only be sited in a main living room where it is certain that supplementary heating is not used".

Some good energy efficiency measures on this link also.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk...PG171 - Domestic energy efficiency primer.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back