Cutting length of extension lead?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can alter the length of an extension as long as your confident in wiring a plug and stripping the outer insulation so you don't nick the inner insulation. Just make sure to cut the wires to the correct lengths and tighten the terminals etc...

Are you burying this into a wall and plastering over it?

Yes you can alter the length of an extension as long as your confident in wiring a plug and stripping the outer insulation so you don't nick the inner insulation. Just make sure to cut the wires to the correct lengths and tighten the terminals etc...

Are you burying this into a wall and plastering over it?
hi all

Will it be ok to make a 10m extension lead 6m?

Don't want excess as in chasing into wall and putting in a shelf above TV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Power-Extension-Socket-Cable/dp/B00UUSTN2S

That's a bit rough TBH.

Sponsored Links
My reason for explicitly asking was to clarify intention. Some people use different terms for things whereas the person might of meant chase into the wall meaning secure in trunking, cut a hole in plasterboard and feed behind it etc... Also if they really was chasing and plastering, I would of made sure they were aware of safe zones and any other requirements

Can you please elaborate on this not sure I follow?

I was meaning when stripping the outer insulation that you don't cut into the inner/individual insulation. Also when stripping the individual wires you don't cut off any strands of copper.

Thank you I will be careful when cutting

Considering it's going to power
1. LCD tv
2. Sky box
3. PlayStation
4. Apple TV

Any parrticuliar extension socket recommended? I see surge protected ones cost more....

Then you also get the basic ones at the shop too very cheaply priced

Don't bother with surge protected but don't buy cheap as chips. Get one from a reputable a) shop and b) manufacturer.

Ideally get one where you can change the flex in the future (look for screws on the back, not rivets etc).

Screwfix have various leads, don't go to B&Q, Homebase etc it'll cost you too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back