CV Joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I nhad an MOT in Nov and got an advisory for perishing Outer CV Gaiters... Whats the odds on the joints being gone because the steering feels loose at ties. If it is the joint how much should i expect to pay?

ps. ive done the usual tests such as checking for grinding + know at full lock etc but nothing??

Sponsored Links
gaiters are the rubber covers AFAIK these perish and in doing so allow muck to get in which will in time cause the joint to cease

Thats what i understood... i drove a long joiurney today and am rendering the car off road as the steering seems to do its own thing now and again whilst on the straight - as if the steering rack has been disengaged or something, it'll suddenly go off in 1 direction unless i correct it. I have absolutely no idea what causes it. Any ideas?

lf l'ts that bad, take lt back wlth your concerns, ask for a re exam for free, wlth a dlfferent employee/examlner.

stlLL not happy? have lt redone at your counclL test cenre, non proflt, they do not do repalrs.

Sponsored Links
MOT in november, we are now in march, a lot could of happened in that time. If the cv gaiters are perished but still holding the grease, the joints should be ok. You don't say what car it is but sounds more like a steering rack or power steering fault. Or possibly a suspension ball joint problem

Back