cycling ravenheat CSI85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put this problem on another web-site on Saturday just before my computer crashed(not my week) and I can't remember what site it was, so here goes again.
I installed a Ravenheat CSI85 just over 2 years ago and until last week it ran perfectly. Now on CH/HW mode, it fires up for an hour or so then begins burning for exactly 5 seconds and shuts down for exactly 5 seconds and will continue doing this all day if left on. If, while boiler is actively cycling, I turn on a hot tap until water flows hot(at least 30 seconds)and then turn it off the boiler will then stop cycling and stay lit for about half an hour at least before resuming the cycling.
On finding the problem, I had a look "under the bonnet" and found one of the 2 thin yellow wires connecting to the overheat cut-off thermostat had been in contact with the fire-box and had melted the yellow casing but had left the wire unbroken. I guess this could have shorted against the fire-box. Could the problem be this thermostat has been damaged or could the circuit board have taken a hit. Or am I following the classic whodunit and pointing prematurely to the most obvious culprit.
I married this boiler to an existing 12 radiator setup on 3 floors. All radiators are heating easily as they always have, even with the boiler now misbehaving. They were installed 13 years ago and have always had an anti-corrosion treatment within.They don't need bleeding very often and when they do the water coming out is as clean as it ever was. Also ,this is a soft water area where we never have any scale problems and boiler was well flushed before connecting.
My concern is that at this rate of cycling, it can be only a matter of time before something fails permanently. Unfortunately I find that installating things isn't the most difficult part, fault-finding is.
Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back