Cyclist killed - natural selection at work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...led-after-collision-with-Games-media-bus.html

The cyclist approached a bus at the lights and decided to go up the inside to pass him and go straight ahead. The lights changed and the bus began turning left. What remains is a mess on the street and a mangled white and chrome bike as a stark example of the attitude of cyclists on the road today.

Cyclists expect 'patience' from all road users except themselves. This guy clearly thought there was a risk the bus would turn, but that the bus driver would have to be 'patient' and let him pass before turning. Sadly for him he was in the blind spot. Maybe he should have been patient and waited behind the bus.

Time to bring in compulsory training and licences for bikes. How can you ride safely if you don't know the rules of the road?

Sponsored Links
Why has the bus driver been charged then?

The cyclist approached a bus at the lights and decided to go up the inside to pass him and go straight ahead. The lights changed and the bus began turning left.....
This guy clearly thought there was a risk the bus would turn, but that the bus driver would have to be 'patient' and let him pass before turning. Sadly for him he was in the blind spot.

Can you be sure what you have written is accurate?

If so, how?

Sponsored Links
Why has the bus driver been charged then?
seems to be the approach these days, arrest first (affect employment and holidays in future), ask questions later. the article has an eye witness (another cyclist) describing how the cyclist went inside the bus and was in the blind spot where the driver couldn't see him (the witness had decided not to follow the dead cyclist because it was dangerous).

Time to bring in compulsory training and licences for bikes. How can you ride safely if you don't know the rules of the road?

9/10 troll.

We know the rules, some of use choose to ignore them, sometimes safely, sometimes stupidly. Next you will claim there are no bad drivers, because they all have licenses right?

I suppose next you will be arguing cycles should have number plates and tax discs :LOL:

Meanwhile I will continue to cycle on the road, jump past you at red lights, and generally get up your nose. :mrgreen:

P.S a tip to other cyclists, remember to keep your keys handy, so that you can key any motorists car that does something stupid, serves them right.

I wish I had a fiver for every cyclist who's cycled up on the nearside of my car, whilst I've been waiting at traffic lights with a left hand indicator on.
I agree with the concept of compulsory training and perhaps some contribution from cyclists towards road safety features (eg cycle lanes etc)
I wonder just how many cyclists have actually bothered to read the highway code?

P.S a tip to other cyclists, remember to keep your keys handy, so that you can key any motorists car that does something stupid, serves them right.

I ride a bike and (normally, but not at the moment) drive as well.

While I agree that many a motorist does idiotic things around cyclists, I also know that cyclists do stupid unthinking things too.

Like riding over pedestrian crossings when the lights are on red, running red lights generally, riding down one-ways the wrong way, riding on pavements etc....

I think it's ridiculous to encourage this vandalistic revenge.

:rolleyes:

There's no room for a car and a bike on the road. Ban cycles during the working week.

As far as keying cars goes - they'd hear it in the car - you wouldn't last five minutes.

It's the Internet - everyone's a hero on the WWW.

:rolleyes:

Ban cyclists? The healthier, safer, more efficient, less damaging to the road and environment and overall cheaper alternative for something that is the exact opposite? Cycling should be encouraged. Driving discouraged.

It should be encouraged on dedicated cycle routes - banned on the peak hour roads. How many cars have to slow down and get stuck behind a bike then change lane and speed up again? It can be up to 5000 on a busy road.

How is that green? Dump the bike, get in the car and don't get in the way.

More cyclists getting in the way, more cars slowing and accelerating to get past them = MORE fumes than the cyclist driving a car. Ban bikes in peak times.

What is the biggest reason for slowing down/speeding up on your commute? Cyclists, other drivers? Pedestrian crossings? Ban them, they cause more fumes, ban pavements to, widen the roads for more cars.

Less cars mean less fumes. Safer for cyclists, encouraging a healthier and less damaging means of transport.

Bad driving causes more delays than bad cycling. More delays more fumes.

Sponsored Links
Back