Cyclists should be banned off certain roads

I don't have a problem with cyclists on the road. Over the years, I have played at being a potential organ donor by cycling on Britain's increasingly overcrowded highways.

However, there is one type of thoroughly irresponsible cycling moron out there. They are the ones that cycle on the pavement and approach you from behind at speed. Never any bell to warn of their presence. They are past you before you even see or hear them coming, but if you happened to unintentionally wander into their path you are likely to be badly injured.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
The only answer would be to rebuild our entire road network with separate cycle paths as in the Netherlands, but unfortunately our overcrowded and medieval road network won't allow this, not to mention the obvious cost problem.
A better solution would be to make cars narrower ;) After all, the majority of journeys on roads at any one time involve one or two people per car and sitting one behind the other would make a darned more sense in many ways.
An even better solution may very well involve greater public transport.

Good idea. Make buses narrower as well. Everyone could stand up!

I can see a flaw in your plan. People are getting wider. :idea:

You can witness this for yourself by making a visit to your local Asda. Especially the chocolate and cake aisles. :LOL:

• Thanks
I don't have a problem with cyclists on the road. Over the years, I have played at being a potential organ donor by cycling on Britain's increasingly overcrowded highways.

However, there is one type of thoroughly irresponsible cycling moron out there. They are the ones that cycle on the pavement and approach you from behind at speed. Never any bell to warn of their presence. They are past you before you even see or hear them coming, but if you happened to unintentionally wander into their path you are likely to be badly injured.

Common sense on their part really - don't fancy being spread across the road by a truck, so venture onto the pavement, where they are "top dog". Pity the poor kid that gets totalled by one of the p narses though.

again at the end of the day I couldn't care less. motorcycles by law need mirrors, what's the iff ?

Sponsored Links
This thread should be entitled;

'Cyclists should be banned off all roads'.[/i](and footpaths).

Interesting logic, only those that pay should be allowed to use the facility?
Would that refer to roads alone, or all publicly provided facilities?

Or would you prefer some kind of sliding scale depending on who paid the most?
Kind of a slippery slope (excuse the pun), do you think?

You've nearly got it, RH. I believe that cyclists should pay a contribution, yes, but that it should be proportionately lower than that paid by other road vehicles. Exactly how much I don't know.

But what other facilities are you thinking about? Health services and hand-outs? Yes, at the risk of straying off-topic, I think immigrants should have to pay towards the upkeep of the country before benefitting from certain, well, benefits - just like they do in other EU countries.

What about testing bikes for roadworthiness.??? Bald tyres, no brakes.???

Tyres for road bikes are bald! A narrow tyre cuts through surface water and has no chance of aquaplaning so doesn't need grooves to disperse that water like a car tyre.

why do motorcycle tyres have tread then ? what is the width of a tyre before tread is needed ?

further, what about worn chain and sprockets that are not adjusted or lubed ? very dangerous if chain comes off

why do motorcycle tyres have tread then ? what is the width of a tyre before tread is needed ?

Bicycles don't usually do 120MPH round corners. If you have ever ridden a motorbike on bald tyres in the wet you would know why they have tread.

Interesting logic, only those that pay should be allowed to use the facility?
Would that refer to roads alone, or all publicly provided facilities?

Or would you prefer some kind of sliding scale depending on who paid the most?
Kind of a slippery slope (excuse the pun), do you think?

You've nearly got it, RH. I believe that cyclists should pay a contribution, yes, but that it should be proportionately lower than that paid by other road vehicles. Exactly how much I don't know.

But what other facilities are you thinking about? Health services and hand-outs? Yes, at the risk of straying off-topic, I think immigrants should have to pay towards the upkeep of the country before benefitting from certain, well, benefits - just like they do in other EU countries.
I wasn't thinking quite so narrowly as health and benefits.
Although health is certainly one area that paying into and enjoying the service has no connection. Nor should it. Health treatment, in an ideal world, is a humanitarian service and should not be denied.
I was also not thinking simply along the lines of indigenous and immigrant contributors/users. There are a multplicity of indigenous users (and immigrants) that make little or no payment towards the services that they enjoy. There are also a multiplicity of users (indigenous and immigrant) that do pay and make no use of the service.
But lets keep this relevant to the original discussion.

I was also thinking of education, social services, refuse, libraries, leisure, housing, police, fire, defence, coastguard, etc, etc.
There is no connection between paying into and enjoying benefits of practically all public services. So why draw the distinction for roads, some of which are the responsibility of national agencies, and others are the responsibility of local organisations. So, by your suggestion, those who "pay to use" would be paying to a national agency and to the myriad of local organisations.
An argument could be that payment is made to one central agency that distributes the income to the numerous local organisations. Well payment is made now to a central agency but it is not re-distributed.
Any local payment now is made direct to the local organisation. (parking fines, congestion charges)

So while your suggestion might appear to be reasonable, in practice it is, well, not practicable.
Where would it end, pedestrians paying to use the pavements? Pushchairs must pay slightly more?

Surely the status quo is sensible, no payment for cycles and there is encouragement to "get on your bike" with all the associated benefits.

You'd have to be suicidal to ride a fast road bike with defective tyres. You can easily reach speeds of 45 to 50 mph so regular tyre inspections are part of a proper road cyclist's maintenance routine. Not to mention that worn tyres are more likely to pick up thorns and bit of glass and puncture.

If the post is serious (I think not) the author is probably thinking about the muppets on crap supermarket bikes who ride on pavements and jump lights giving the rest of us a bad name. These kinds of cyclists don't usually maintain their bikes to the same standard.

I wasn't thinking quite so narrowly as health and benefits.
Although health is certainly one area that paying into and enjoying the service has no connection. Nor should it. Health treatment, in an ideal world, is a humanitarian service and should not be denied.
I was also not thinking simply along the lines of indigenous and immigrant contributors/users. There are a multplicity of indigenous users (and immigrants) that make little or no payment towards the services that they enjoy. There are also a multiplicity of users (indigenous and immigrant) that do pay and make no use of the service.
But lets keep this relevant to the original discussion.

I was also thinking of education, social services, refuse, libraries, leisure, housing, police, fire, defence, coastguard, etc, etc.
There is no connection between paying into and enjoying benefits of practically all public services. So why draw the distinction for roads, some of which are the responsibility of national agencies, and others are the responsibility of local organisations. So, by your suggestion, those who "pay to use" would be paying to a national agency and to the myriad of local organisations.
An argument could be that payment is made to one central agency that distributes the income to the numerous local organisations. Well payment is made now to a central agency but it is not re-distributed.
Any local payment now is made direct to the local organisation. (parking fines, congestion charges)

So while your suggestion might appear to be reasonable, in practice it is, well, not practicable.
Where would it end, pedestrians paying to use the pavements? Pushchairs must pay slightly more?

Surely the status quo is sensible, no payment for cycles and there is encouragement to "get on your bike" with all the associated benefits.

Yes, I'm beginning to lean toward your way of thinking.

I think we should all stop paying any taxes of any shape or form and benefit from all of the humanitarian services of which no-one should be denied.

Oh, wait...

the taxation issue aside, I think it would be better for road safety, congestion, and the general perception of cyclists if cyclists were registered / licensed in some way and had to do a basic test before going on the road.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back