cylinder element needs replacing.. can i do this workaround?

On my fully pumped (not gravity HW) indirect (coil in the water tank) primatic (header tanks in the loft) system (phew!) hot water comes up from the boiler and meets the pump. From here it splits in two. One goes to a zone valve and then the hot water coil; the other goes to a zone valve and then to the rads.

My timer (which I just upgraded to digital) allows me to open or close either zone valve (although this is overidden by the cylinder stat and room stat). Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
If you can't get CH without HW, either the HW valve is stuck open, or it's latched onto the "Man" position (lever on end of valve), or your programmer is set to "gravity" instead of "pumped".
Sometimes that is shown as something like 10/16 where you'd get 10 switching options on gravity or 16 on fully pumped.
What's the programmer?

Sponsored Links
If it was fitted only five months ago I would get the guy back as non of it is working to part L regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back