Cylinder not plumbed correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since we moved in a few months ago, the Hot Water button on my Honeywell 9400C programmer turns on the CH, and vice versa. Also, the HW will only come up when both buttons are turned on. Understandably I assumed the problem lay with the electrician who installed it (although he was an English NICEIC-registered chappie who seemed to know what he was doing).

However, I called in a competent electrician who checked it and said it's all been wired correctly. Which I presume would mean it's a plumbing issue...just I don't know what to look for. Is there an obvious explanation? Would I need to call in a plumber or could I handle it myself?

Oh, forgot to mention..it's an Unvented sealed system. Boiler is Vaillant EcoTec 630 (not combi) and cylinder is Telford Tempest.

Sponsored Links
"s" plan 2x2 port valves or
"y" plan 1 x 3 port valve

if y plan the valve is the wrong way round or the programmer is set to gravity :idea:

if y plan the valve is the wrong way round or the programmer is set to gravity :idea:

Would you mind putting that in (brief) laymen's terms....
Where would I find this valve - on the boiler or the cylinder?
How do i know which plan it has been wired as, or which plan it should be wired as?

Sorry! and thanks

Some of what you have said is a little odd.

Whats important is if it ever worked correctly since it was fitted. I would think perhaps not.

If it suddenly stopped working then something has failed but that failure would be most likely to be one that would be an electrical aspect which a competent heating engineer, who can do his own wiring and fault finding, could identify.

For some reason that I can never understand, few electricians can fault find on controls even when they are primarily electrical in their operation.

Based on what you have said so far I would not assume that its even wired correctly unless you can tell me that it used to work OK.

Regardless, it will probably need an experienced person unless you are very competent with a test meter.

Tony

Sponsored Links

Would you mind putting that in (brief) laymen's terms....
Where would I find this valve - on the boiler or the cylinder?
How do i know which plan it has been wired as, or which plan it should be wired as?
KP is asking if you see anything like either of these on your system?

View media item 5946 View media item 11762

Whats important is if it ever worked correctly since it was fitted. I would think perhaps not.

Based on what you have said so far I would not assume that its even wired correctly unless you can tell me that it used to work OK.

Regardless, it will probably need an experienced person unless you are very competent with a test meter.

Tony

1. It has never worked properly
2. If as you say it's not been wired correctly, the electrician I got in who approved it, must have been mistaken. So...do I get another electrician? Or just a heating engineer? (does he need any specific electricians)
3. No intention of doing it myself!

Thanks

Thats what I thought, its never worked properly.

Its easy enough to correct the wiring and you could almost do it yourself with a bit of time.

Very few electricians seem to understand wiring up heating systems. Rather more, but not by any means most, heating engineers understand wiring them.

Somewhat less understand how to diagnose faults but my first guess is that nothing has failed and it just needs wiring properly. Thats rather easier.

Whoever you get make sure you agree a fixed price for the job however long it takes. The more competent the faster it should be. You should not be paying more for a duffer who takes all day.

I would hope to rewire it correctly and test that the whole system including the boiler is all working correctly in about 1.25 hours including coffee break. It could take longer though.

Tony

Ok, had a look at my cylinder up in the loft.

Overall view:

Bit closer:

The bottom box is a Siemens 2 port 22mm valve actuator:
it is set to auto

Top 'box' (marked B) says Honeywell where it joins pipework:
also set to auto

So I assume, based on Kevplumb's post above, I should have S plan (2 x2 valves)...

Is there any obvious solution, based on these pics, to my original query?

(thanks - total novice here)

Well... there are regulations regarding correct and safe installation of unvented cylinders. There is a special qualification (G3) that plumbers are supposed to have to install or mess with theses things - correct wiring etc is more of a safety issue than with vented cylinders.

who installed that cylinder?? the tprv outlet goes uphill! The feed into the combination valve looks like its teed into the balanced outlet?? !!wtf? more pictures please! all of the cylinder and its pipework. See what else they did wrong. No way was this done by a competent person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back