Cylinder relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here...first post! :D

We are currently considering converting a bathroom to a bedroom (mid terraced property) and downsizing the bathroom. All done to meet BC regs etc..

We have a typical vented indirect system with gas boiler with a cylinder in the bathroom at present. Both expansion/header tanks are directly above the cylinder approx 0.5m high. Main cold water tank is above them in a very small attic space. No issues with the system at all..works fine at the moment.
Because of the room required we want to relocate the cylinder downstairs in a cupboard close to the boiler. This will also have to include the expansion/header tanks in a similiar configuration.
We will only need a single hot tap to a sink upstairs as we will not have a bath or shower feeding off the hot water (electric shower).

Before we make bolder moves and start getting qoutes etc... Would there be a problem moving the cylinder downstairs (room directly below where it is now)? Also, I presume we would need an inline pump to serve the hot sink tap upstairs as this will be above the header tank...would there be an issue with this?

We do not wish to move to a combi boiler (cost!) and are working to a very tight budget. Any advice would be brilliant!

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm new here...first post! :D

Both expansion/header tanks are directly above the cylinder approx 0.5m high. Main cold water tank is above them in a very small attic space. No issues with the system at all..works fine at the moment.
Because of the room required we want to relocate the cylinder downstairs in a cupboard close to the boiler. This will also have to include the expansion/header tanks in a similiar configuration.
We will only need a single hot tap to a sink upstairs as we will not have a bath or shower feeding off the hot water (electric shower).
You seem to imply that you have three water tanks, that is two cold
water tanks and 1 feed/expansion tank. Is that correct?

thanks for responding!

two tanks directly above the cylinder in an airing cupboard space and a cold water cistern in atic space above. I understand that there was no space to put expansion tanks in the atic above the cylinder so the heating guys who installed it created a frame above the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
If these are truly your hot water demands, then why not move to a purely electric system and get some undersink water heaters?

[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back