D link wireless router.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just got one of these from my ISP.

Despite the box indicating XP as a minimum OS, my ISP tech line say ME is fine.

I have installed the router as far as powering it up & connecting the ethernet cable to the LAN port on the PC & one of the ports on the back of the router.

It recognises this connection as the corresponding led illminates on the router & the LAN port at the back of the PC illuminates, too.

However, upon clicking next (following the install CD Rom), it tells me the cable is not correctly connected. My ISP are suggesting the driver for the LAN port needs reinstalling: I don't think it has one.

Anybody got any suggestions, please?

Do you think it is a compatibility issue with the creaky OS?

Sponsored Links
Who are your ISP? There's a very good chance that it will work on ME, but the CD won't - try just opening internet explorer and see what happens with it plugged in.

I think they are correct in the router does not need your PC to have any special software for it to run. The main bit is you need to get your network to talk between your PC and your router. When you plug the router into the network port do you get a little icon like a couple of small PC screens in the area next to the clock? Says "blahdy blah connected at 100mbps"?

Don't know: I'm running the standard ADSL modem at the moment. I'll power down & reinstall the router and get back to you....

Sponsored Links
You don't need to reboot your PC, if you just plug the router into the mains (don't bother with the phone line), then a lead from the router to your PC do you get a notification?
Is there a network connections in your control panel?
What model dlink router? Do you know the IP address for it - should be written in the setup instructions in a similar format to 192.168.2.1

Hi

You can get a manual for the adsl modem router here Click on Technical Support at the top and enter the model.

It will probably need configuring with your username and password for your ISP (which is what the software was going to take you through).

If you can connect up using the ethernet cable and type: 192.168.0.1 in your browser it will hopefully ask you to login. Try username: admin password: admin

I have a horrible feeling that the windows Me may need to be setup to talk to the network, then to the internet via the network. A bit of a pain but not impossible (not as easy as XP tho :( ).

I seem to recall that Windows Me had a network setup wizard.

There are some network configuration instructions Here which may be of some help

Maybe, I have just been tinkering with Windows Me in virtual PC, had to set it up manually to get it to work :(

Hi, numerical, thanks for the tips. I've tried the router, no icon.
The IP is 192.168.1.1

The model number is: DSL 2640B.

OK. So I'll disconnect the old ADSL modem & see if I can log in using that address...

EDIT: Nothing doing. When I type the IP address & hit return, it cannot connect: ie the router is not recognised.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is to setup the router on Mrs Secure's PC, which has XP.

However, her PC is one she got 2nd hand dirt cheap from her work...and it has no CD drive...I tried installing an old drive from a defunct PC, but XP does not recognise it & in any case, it's the wrong size for the bay. Anyone know which drives fit the bays on a DELL desktop case?? :cry:

I know how frustrating this can be - I had a month of issues with no connection nothing working using Orange broadband - thought it was me then finally discovered it was all down to Orange!!.

Some thoughts - apologies if I am teaching granny to suck eggs :)

1. As Doc Lenny said the IP address for Dlink is usually 192.168.0.1 - are you sure you are using correct IP?
To check bring the DOS window up and at the command prompt type ipconfig which will bring up the Ethernet LAN settings. Your router settings will be those shown at end Default Gateway - in my case with Livebox 192.168.1.1

2. Have you tried to ping your router. From DOS window type "ping 192.168.0.1 (or your known IP address), you should see "reply from 192.168.0.1...." several times

3. No icon. I assume this refers to the system tray icon. You might want to look in your Network Connections. Assuming that you can see your Local Area Connections right click and select properties - make sure that the "Show Icon in notification area when connected" is selected.

4. Is your PC overclocked? If it is you are likely to have issues with your Ethernet card (I have the T shirt on this one) which will stop comms.

5. Silly one maybe but have you tried different Ethernet cables?

a suggestion.

i have a d link router / modem

mine wouldnt work either...................................

read the instructions

i had to go to IE and type in an address (in the manual) which is the address of the router modem, worked fine after that.

seems you have to tell the router modem something, it then stores the info in the router modem itself (all info is in the manual)

mate came round with his deskto, it had a problem, put a network card and driver in, plugged it into my router on line strait away via my router

Hi, numerical, thanks for the tips. I've tried the router, no icon.
The IP is 192.168.1.1

The model number is: DSL 2640B.

OK. So I'll disconnect the old ADSL modem & see if I can log in using that address...

EDIT: Nothing doing. When I type the IP address & hit return, it cannot connect: ie the router is not recognised.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is to setup the router on Mrs Secure's PC, which has XP.

However, her PC is one she got 2nd hand dirt cheap from her work...and it has no CD drive...I tried installing an old drive from a defunct PC, but XP does not recognise it & in any case, it's the wrong size for the bay. Anyone know which drives fit the bays on a DELL desktop case?? :cry:

Okay, if you open up your system properties and device manager tab can you see a network adapter?
if have the router plugged in, go to your start button, select run. At the prompt type COMMAND
This opens up an msdos box. If you now do the IPCONFIG /ALL and see what this brings back?
Should hopefully be something like this:
[code:1]
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : local
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : Yes

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Intel DC21140 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-03-FF-8C-C3-08
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>

[/code:1]
(note the addresses on my PC end in 0.1 whereas yours will end in 1.1)

You can also try pinging the router from your pc, at the command prompt just type PING 192.168.1.1 and see if it gives a reply:

[code:1]
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>
[/code:1]

Spark123, I notice that your default gateway IP is 192.168.0.1. As a matter of interest what make is your router. As Doc Lenny said and in my post as far as I know D link use 192.168.0.1 as standard across all models.

Securespark says that his IP is 192.168.1.1, this may of course be correct, but I think it worth checking using ipconfig and also trying to ping using 192.168.0.1 as well.

EDIT For some reason this bugged me, I have just checked out of curiosity on the D Link site. I was wrong :( site states D-Link ADSL routers and modems have a factory default IP address of 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.
To access your ADSL router or modem, open up your web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer). Type in http://192.168.1.1 as the address to access the device. Press Enter when done.
[/i]

Mine is a Netgear DG834GT.
I had a play about with windows Me in virtual PC, I manually assigned my router IP addy as the gateway to the internet, enabled DNS and pointed that to my router IP addy too. I set my virtual PC network card as 192.168.0.5 (fixed) with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0, enabled wins and set that to 192.168.0.5 also.
Client for microsoft networks as primary network logon using quick logon (whatever that means :oops: .)
Now my windows Me inside a virtual windows PC talks to the www.

Sponsored Links
Back