D link wireless router.

Sponsored Links
CD won't work because it will not go beyond the point at which itr tells me the ethernet cable is not properly attached - I can't seem to run "F" drive and access the CD's contents without running through the set-up procedure.
Wrong CD then, methinks.

It is a D-Link wireless adapter.
Can you not just cancel the Autorun thing and then browse the CD? :confused:

As her PC is almost rubbing shoulders with mine, can I just run another Cat5e patch cord from another port on the router to her PC?
Yes you can.

And for that matter to further PC's?
Yes you can, yes you can, yes you caaaaan!

This is not mentioned in the manual. Mrs Secure is happier from a security POV to have hard-wired connections if possible.
I bet she is.

Lastly, how does the principle of wireless adapters work? Do they just talk to the router wirelessly?
Yes. A radio connection replaces the wire, so the TCP/IP layers above it can't tell the difference.

Do you need any further equipment attached to the LAN ports on the router in order for the wireless adapters to communicate?
Well no, not if the router is a wireless one. Is yours?

If not then you'll be needing a wireless access point to connect to the router.

If not, what are these ports for? Or are they for hard wiring?
Yes.

OK guys, thanks to everybody once again for all your help! I do have a wireless router, but am happier to hard wire stuff. Nevertheless, I like to understand how stuff works, as I mentioned previously, hence all the (now seemingly) daft questions!

Now I'm off to ponder how to fire up the wireless adapter. See you next autumn.... ;)

Sponsored Links
Yup. It came with the router- it's a D-Link wireless USB adapter, but Mrs Secure's XP-running PC cannot run the device. It recognises it is there, but needs software to drive it. I can't find that software on the CD Rom supplied, but I'm working on interrogating it.

Ve haf vays.....

The wireless adapter drivers would not normally be on the same CD as the router configuration software.

Which model of D-Link wireless adapter is it?

If you cannot find your software driver for your device you could try looking on D link site they may have downloads of software and manual for your model.
Try Here

Which model of D-Link wireless adapter is it?

DWA-111.

There is only one CD with the kit.

Will try that link, Tony, thanks.

Edit: Already tried it before - it can't "find" the DWA-111... :cry:

I've found another issue....

Don't think it's related to the router. Cannot send-receive e-mails. Error message as follows:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.freenetname.co.uk', Server: 'mail.freenetname.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

DWA 111 is offered as part of the D Link wireless G starter kit which includes the DIR-301 Wireless G Router. The wireless router is not the model you quoted in original post - did you buy seperately?

Data sheet for the above ftp://ftp.dlink.eu/datasheets/DKT-110.pdf

Software driver download Here

Scroll to the bottom of page. There are two drivers listed it looks like one for Mac and a shipping driver (assume Windows but check first with D Link

I've found another issue....

Don't think it's related to the router. Cannot send-receive e-mails. Error message as follows:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.freenetname.co.uk', Server: 'mail.freenetname.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

What application do you use to send and receive emails?

Do you use AVG anti virus - I am not sure about this but the ERR AVG POP3 Proxy server looks like a clue. If you do use AVG uninstalling and then reinstall may help.

DWA 111 is offered as part of the D Link wireless G starter kit which includes the DIR-301 Wireless G Router. The wireless router is not the model you quoted in original post - did you buy seperately?

Nope! The DSL 2640B and the DWA-111, ethernet patch lead & filter all came a part of the same kit.

Will look up the sotware thanks.

I use OE 6 to handle e-mail. Plus, I do have AVG. I've been looking at AVG settings, but cannot find any duff settings. I'll keep fiddling, but will use Softus' idea of one change at a time.

The "one change at a time" system is certainly recommended.

I am fairly sure that AVG is preventing you sending/receiving emails.
Do you have the option to turn off email scanning? Have you tried to see if this makes a difference?

Used to know how with AVG free V6.xx, but this is now V7.5 & I think it's changed, cos it isn't laid out how it used to be.

That sounds pathetic, I know...

Deactivate email scanner
If you are using a POP3/SMTP based e-mail client and there is a problem with e-mail delivering, or you need to disable the Personal E-mail Scanner for any another reason, follow these steps:
Open the AVG Control Center program -> double-click on the "E-mail scanner" component -> select "Personal E-mail Scanner" in the "Installed plugins" list. Now click on the "Disable plugin" button. After you do this, no communication on ports 110 or 25 will be scanned by the AVG Personal E-mail Scanner. When you need to re-activate it, open the AVG Control Center program -> select the "E-mail scanner" tab by one left click -> click on the "Activate" button on the bottom of the AVG Control Center window.

AVG Technical FAQ for 7.5
http://www.grisoft.com/ca-en.faq.num-339

More details on forum
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/index.php?0

Sponsored Links
Back