Damp bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC_0024.JPG
Please can anyone tell me why these bricks beside the airbrick always appear wet and whether I should be concerned and what I should do. Last year wasps nested in or behind the airbrick and there was no problem before that (not sure if this is coincidence). Thank you so much for any advice!

Sponsored Links
The wet bricks are subject to rising damp because they are below the DPC.
Your DPC is just above the air brick.
In good practice the air brick should be above the DPC.

A pic showing more of the wall elevation would help?
Do you have any damp issues on the inside of that wall?
All air bricks should be clear to provide ventilation - the wasps are irrelevant.

I have taken a picture of the wall, I'm not sure if it's what you meant, sorry! It is below the level of the inside floorboards so no damp in the rooms. Should I ask a builder to put airbricks a bit higher? I think the house was built in the 70s? Why do you think it has started doing this after all these years.
PS thank you so much for replying

Attachments

• DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the pic.
I needed a reference point for your FFL and the position of the joists.
google pics esp section views of air bricks and DPC's in a cavity wall to get a rough idea.

You have a cavity wall which, unless the cavity is blocked and bridged with debris, will protect your inside flooring and joists.
But a clean cavity will only protect the interior from damp if the inner wall has its DPC in the correct position - which, given your "no damp in the rooms", should be fine.

Essentially, it appears that you are good to go & forget about DPC's & damp.
No need to move the air bricks

Sponsored Links
Thank you again, so should I stop worrying the house will fall down?! Do you think a wasp nest could have blocked the cavity because something must have changed in the last year to cause the damp? Should I find someone to check under the floorboards or look behind the bricks? I'm sorry I am so clueless about this sort of thing, I have no idea how a house is built but will Google as you suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back