Damp cellar: what should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
51340794393_68a4628582_h.jpg

51341578840_1a653a176b_h.jpg

We live in a Victorian terraced house and a couple of years ago we re-worked the front garden, laying York stone where there had been conrete.

In the past, the old coal shoot of the cellar was covered in concrete that did not look great but most of the time kept the water out. (The rest of the front garden in front of the house also had broken concrete over it: ie it was not ever fully waterproof.) Occasionally the cellar did get damp, usually when the gutter was clogged. But now a lot of water is coming in, actually pooling on the cellar floor.

The guys who did the York paving just laid a large slab (above) over the coal hole, and supported it with a few random bricks inside the shoot. There is no damp proof membrane.

The cellar was never absolutely dry, but it was never as wet at this.

The paving has been laid at an angle so that the water does drain forwards into the small front garden. This is where most of the water goes.

The question is what to do. Should I:

1/ Raise some or even a lot or even all of the paving stones and lay a membrane underneath. This basically undoes all the work done in the front garden and starting over again.

2/ Block the old coal shoot more effectively.

In the photo there is newspaper to the side of the bricks and it is all damp, especially to the left.

I could seal things better. But how? With more mortar and bricks or with a waterproof filler of some kind? It is now a small space and difficult to access, with the bricks sitting in the middle of the coal hole keeping the York slab up.

If I did fill the coal hole with some mortar, any idea what type? It would need to be a loose mixture to get into all the cracks and potential access points for the water. It would mean filling up everything up to the brick support for the York stone.

I was wondering about some sort of waterproof foam filler, which I could use instead: but there is loose mortar, dirk and damp in there so it probably would not stick.

Of course, whatever I do the water will back up. But hopefully it will seep into the ground beneath the paving and end up in the front garden. Realistically, the cellar will still be prone to getting a bit damp, but we could live with that. It is water actually on the cellar floor that we want to avoid.

(I have also made things worse, by fixing up a water collection water butt into which the down pipe from the gutter flows. This water butt has been known to overflow, spreading a lot of water over the York slabs. It is also the case that the gutter might need clearing out as well, as it does every year: this was certainly a cause of dampness in the past.)

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Start with the drains and downpipe to reduce the amount of water you provide to the damp cellar.

The drains are quite likely broken and leaking into the ground.

Relay the paving so the slope directs water away from the house

Increase the cellar ventilation a hundred-fold.

Please post some wider photos so we can understand your situation.

The paving does slope away from the house. I am on the case with the guttering: just as well as we have just had a torrential 20 minutes when litres of water were coming down the down-pipe.

The drains have never given a problem. Any views on the mortar to block the coal shoot?

Any other views on how to seal the area around the coal shoot so that water ceases flowing into the cellar?

Sponsored Links
We had a similar setup, but never had any trouble with it. We had a small upstand around the hole to stop any ground water pouring in with a good fall to stop it pooling against it.

Then there was a very, very well ventilated area above that, we had air bricks, and a large lid that overhung all edges and that ran off to the front.

It did get cold over winter but since the cellar wasn't tanked we needed that breeze to prevent damp anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back