Solutions for coal hole cover & cellar ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

House is a 2 bed back to back mid terrace house built 1860 (Budget end). Front door opens on to pavement owned by local council.

The property has a small cellar under the kichen which extends into the coal hole area under the pavement below the coal hole cover. The coal hole cover has got holes in it. This is allowing rainwater to enter into the cellar and creating damp. The main part of the cellar is not that damp.

I want to stop the rainwater entering the cellar (Block holes in coal hole cover/Replace coal hole cover with something else/New paving slab); introduce some form of passive ventilation and ideally secure the coal hole cover/Replacement cover down so the property is secure.

I had initially planned to purchase a coal hole cover without holes. However, the diameter of this coal hole cover is approx 36cm and larger than the most common coal hole covers I have seen available for sale new or on Ebay.

Regarding the ventilation; I was planning to start with passive ventilation and wondered whether I need to put two pipes in one which comes down into the bottom of the cellar and one to the top or whether a chimney cowl might work or building up an area close to the wall with air bricks. However, I think there are too many pipes in the way. The ventilation will need to be closer to the house than where the coal hole cover is so it is not a trip hazard.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Please see photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had initially planned to purchase a coal hole cover without holes. However, the diameter of this coal hole cover is approx 36cm and larger than the most common coal hole covers I have seen available for sale new or on Ebay.

You could take the present cover to someone with welding facilities, and have the holes welded up, or a new cover made/added to what you have, but you would need to set the cover in a flexible sealant, to prevent water going down the sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back