Filling old coal chute

CWi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old coal vault with a chute leading up from the ceiling to the pavement outside. The original metal cover is in place, apparently with a metal plate underneath. I Assuming I can remove the cover and plate to enable me to do it, I'd like to fill the chute. Should I use reinforced concrete, or would reinforced sand and cement be sufficient, please? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I shouldn't think you would need reinforced concrete as it won't be supporting anything.
You could simply tip a load of broken bricks, stones, gravel, and whatever else took your fancy, to bulk out the void then top off with 4"-6" of concrete tamped down hard to prevent it sinking.
PS Concrete is simply sand and cement with smaller stones mixed in to make it bind together better than sand and cement, which is more likely to crumble over time. Small, 20mm, chippings will be fine for them.

Last edited:
If the coal chute opens up onto a public highway (pavement), it  may be necessary to contact your local authority.

Here's an example from Bath (brief guidance attached):
Screenshot_20230203-215427_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Although, it isn't clear whether approval would still be required, if the existing cover was retained.

If you live in a conservation area, modifying or removing the original metal cover may also be subject to other consents.

Attachments

• waterproofing_basements_v2a.pdf
    135.6 KB · Views: 192

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back