Damp, condensation in concrete pour house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a poured 1950's concrete house and recently have been suffering with a really bad moisture problem in my bedrooms n external walls.

I have noticed real damp patches appearing that when left have turned to mould.

The roof has been checked and no leaks, also no water tank leak.

The problem I believe is condensation. From central heating and body heat.

I am looking for any suggestions to rectify this problem please.

I have an air brick in the wall, and keep my window on a latch and it doesn't see moot be that much of a problem but as you can appreciate isn't a resolution.

I have looked at paint, insulated plaster board, moisture resistant plaster board etc.

Any help would be great

Sponsored Links
You have condensation, which is common in concrete houses

Search on the solutions for condensation, but you may find that if the problem is bad then you will have to insulate the face of the external walls, as ventilating and heating is often not successful on their own

Last resort is the installation of a positive pressure fan (Envirovent, Lofty, Nu-aire etc)

But first ensure that you have extract fans in the kitchen and bathroom

My house is a concrete poured house, and luckily we dont have this problem..i am not a builder, but i would go for a false wall on the outside facing walls, i did this in my old solid brick house and it worked just fine... :LOL:

try a couple of things.

1/. When cooking keep the kitchen door to the rest of the house closed, once the worst of the cooking, especially anything that needs to be boiled, such as Pasta is complete open the outside door for a short time and allow the "free moisture" - steam to be vented outside and not inside, if possible fit an extractor above the cooker to vent out, not easy in a No-Fines property?

2/. after a bath or Shower open the window and allow the very warm wet air to be taken out of the room, leave the window open for a short time and close it later. if poss as above fit an extractor that has a "run on that is the fan will continue to run on even after the light is switched off.

The name of the game is to control as far as possible the "free water" or steam that is being let loose in the property. Given that your home is a No-Fines concrete shell you have an uphill fight to stop condensation especially in Bedrooms with a small heat source and not much moving air to stop the condensation from forming, i bet the condensation is forming in corners at about ceiling height just where there is little or no air movement. watch behind furniture placed against outside walls as well, move the furniture a wee bit away from the wall to encourage air flow.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back