Damp Issue with attached bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi-detached bungalow. The property next door is rented out by the owner.

The next door property is staggered i.e the front is about 3 feet proud of ours with a corresponding inset distance at the back (hope that makes sense).

Over the last 10 years or so there has been a damp issue next door, When the original tenant who was there when we bought our property moved out there was mold in the front bedroom below the window along the wall that abuts to our property (our spare bedroom) but is slightly forward of our actual wall. When we checked there was no sign of any damp in our spare bedroom.

When they moved out the owner treated the wall with some sort of damp inhibitor and then painted over. The next tenant stayed for about 5-6 years and during that time used calor gas heaters as his main heat source although these were prohibited by the terms of his tenancy.

Over time the mold returned in the bedroom and also showed in his lounge which is the far side of the property to ours, mainly on an outside wall where there had been a large unit. During his tenancy the old wooden windows were replaced with low cost UPVC.

When he did a runner the owner had some decorating work done and replaced the soffits and facia with UPVC.

The mold was again treated and painted over so that the new tenants had no idea there was a mold issue. They are now moving out primarily because the mold issue has become quite extensive. It is in the bedroom at the front across the windows and running down the corner which is on the hall side i.e interior wall, in the back spare bedroom across the window, and also the lounge where it is again around the windows and there are patches on the ceiling.

The tenant was asked by the landlord to treat the areas with the inhibitor he provided and paint over before leaving but he has refused to do so telling the landlord he can get someone in after they move out. The landlord is anxious to have a new tenant before Christmas.

The letting agents have viewed the property and been told by the landlord that he has something to get rid of the mold. It is therefore clear that the landlord intends to mask the problem rather than investigating the real cause and curing it. I believe he has said the mold inhibitor will last 5 years but it has only lasted just over 2 years since it was last done.

My reason for posting is to see if anyone can offer any thoughts as to why the mold should be present and the correct method of treatment. The damp course is not covered as far as I have seen, certainly not at the front of the property where most of the mold is. Also most importantly if this would be liable to transmit to my property at anytime. I am assuming the adjoining wall is only single skin? At present there is no sign of damp anywhere in my property.

I have managed to get photos of the affected areas, just in case.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
See this thread, and my comments on humidity vs surface temperatures.

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/improve-ventilation-design-comments.417442/

The problem sounds like simple condensation. Fixing it properly for tenants, means upgrading the insulation to increase wall temperatures and maybe a few more air vents.

The reason insulation is needed is that tenants can't be relied upon to fully manage the humidity. Also, I personally believe that being 2014, we should be moving away from the 1950s mentality that we need to live in draughty houses to manage condensation, and it should also be managed with better thermal details.

After all, a landlord should be expected to do more than whack some paint on the walls every few years for the likely +£10,000 pounds he charges in rent every year.

Sadly most landlords are like the one you described, shysters who just want to paint over defects and change tenants every few years rather than spend proper money updating the building (to be fair some are tight for money, but most of them are just tight).

The cause of the mould will be a combination of factors:

1) Generation of water vapour. Calor gas heaters are a perfect example. Washing being dried internally is the next major cause.

2) Insufficient ventilation

3) Poor air circulation - example behind the large unit you mention

4) Low internal temperature leading to cold internal walls allowing vapour to condense.

The difficulty is that if the mould has become established then applying a bit of "mould killer" and repainting is likely to mask the problem. It may be that the mould has established itself in the plaster and will need a more radical treatment.

Without being rude to tenants, we see this problem quite frequently and it is always due to tenant behaviour.

Mould spores are omnipresent and will establish anywhere that conditions permit.

The landlord does need to get it sorted as a quick fix will come back as a problem quite quickly.

Thanks, more or less what I Expected.

The original tenant had been there for years and I think his advancing years was a factor.

The tenant who used calor gas wasn't best pleased when I said I might have to speak to the landlord about my concerns and because of her circumstances at the time I did nothing. I'm fairly sure the landlord never knew. The husband got the cylinders free from his work.

The current tenants are sensible and non of the circumstances you mention apply and they agree a quick fix isn't the answer.

I am convinced that if any new tenant comes in and has any chest complaint it will not be long before it affects them. It is definitely a health hazard. The current tenants have noticed an increase in coughs etc.

The landlord will keep masking the problem unless he is forced to do otherwise.

What about any likelihood of the damp migrating to my property?

Sponsored Links
What about any likelihood of the damp migrating to my property?

Possible, but very unlikely.

The amount of moisture needed to do so would cause intolerable problems.

The most likely issue to occur are mould spores in the air being carried into your property by air leakage (there will be a degree of air leakage between the two properties). Even this is very unlikely to occur to a measurable degree.

Unless you are trying to help the tenants, don't worry about it.

newboy said:
Without being rude to tenants, we see this problem quite frequently and it is always due to tenant behaviour.

I completely disagree.

If tenants keep behaving in the same consistent manner, then the building needs to be upgraded to suit their living habits, which is entirely possible, but means spending money on the building fabric.

I can't stand the attitude of landlords charging £10,000s in rent every year, and expecting tenants to live as they are told to because they don't want to spend the cash upgrading the building to meet modern living habits.

But anyway, that's my opinion and not much use to the OP.

I completely disagree.

If tenants keep behaving in the same consistent manner, then the building needs to be upgraded to suit their living habits, which is entirely possible, but means spending money on the building fabric.

I agree that there are good and bad tenants and good and bad landlords but I don't think that it's reasonable for tenants to behave how they wish and for the consequences of their actions to be paid for by the landlord.

We recently re-furbished two three bed semi's on behalf of a good landlord.

New heating, electrics, new bathrooms & kitchens, new windows, full redecs, new carpets etc. Cavity wall insulation & loft insulation exceeding current regs.

One house (both identical) was suffering mould in bathroom and two upstairs bedrooms.

The tenants had:

1. Disconnected the bathroom extractor (fuse removed from the spur)
2. Shut off the radiators in the bedrooms (decorators caps in place of TRVs)
3. Dried washing in the spare room on a clothes horse
4. Showered with the bathroom door open ("to stop it getting too steamy")
5. Didn't use the over hob extractor when cooking.

and many other abuses of the property.

What is it reasonable to expect the landlord to do in this type of case?

Thanks for the replies has put my mind at rest a bit. I will keep checking non the less.

Agree with both posters that tenants shouldn't suffer because landlord won't won't do proper maintenance but also agree that landlords should expect their tenants to treat the property with respect.

In the end I think it will be another bodge job and in a short time the mould will be back and the new tenants may suffer the same health issues.

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back