damp on interior wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes you usually do it in conjunction with whats causing the damp i.e rising, penetrating or from the roof.
We did a place last year that had for years a leaking slate roof and firewalls(party walls)
we did all the outside stuff, some of the walls inside were horrendous, you can't take shotcuts with it, if the damp is really bad (guage this by salt deposits coming through) in that house it was particularly bad right at the top of the landing (don't think the salts travelled all the way up there from the earth) it has to be treated in the way i described earlier but with perhaps 2-3 coats of vandex slurry.
you simply cannot leave it to dry out a bit, you get the job done, dried out decorated etc. no come back.
It's when the work is done badly you get problems, i.e no proper backing coat or old slurry left on shelf too long.

Sponsored Links
masterbuilder said:
Do you think i have spent what must amount to thousands of pounds on chemical products that prevent damp.......

Prevent damp?

Masterbuilder, your first post describes how to cover up the damp but not treat the cause. Is that all you're interested in?

click on the damp proofing guide at the bottom of the page.
in most instances i use the sws slurry on a backing coat of 3-1 sand and cement with safeguard renderguard gold added (not mentioned in the article.)

give them a ring madsey and they will tell you your local rep who will come and deliver to you

where are you madsey

help........................................

Sponsored Links
masterbuilder said:
......in most instances i use the sws slurry on a backing coat of 3-1 sand and cement with safeguard renderguard gold added .....

So, the 3-1 backing coat covers up the damp, then the sws slurry covers up the backing coat with a bit of magic chemical added. As shaggy suggests, this is covering up the problem, not curing the cause.

What do you do about the hydraulic conditions you have set up? Has this damp problem existed since the building was constructed, near a hundred years. If it has what's the problem? If it hasn't, and it's a recent problem, what's the cause? I can't see how hiding it is acceptable.

masterbuilder said:
oilman this is the first and last message i'll send to you, i don't want to have any thing to do with ass hole s like you with no practical advice to offer.

find something else to occupy your neanderthal brain

Oh dear, have I found a sensitive spot when I stated I can't see how your method (cover-up) cures the problem? Perhaps it doesn't then. For your 17 posts (as counted when you posted the one quoted) you have a very jaundiced view of anyone who wants more background information. There are past and present posters (me included) who agree and disagree on various ways of sorting problems. You don't seem to be able to support your position by reasoning, only by abuse. Probably a case of leopards and spots. Glad I'm not on of your definanced customers. It's not surprising with your attitude why people don't trust tradesmen.

masterbuilder said:
oilman this is the first and last message i'll send to you, i don't want to have any thing to do with a******s like you with no practical advice to offer.
find something else to occupy your neanderthal brain
Ouch !

What has Oilman's said to upset you ? :confused:

What's brothering you ?

Don't you agreed what been written ?

looks like he can not give oilman a fair "argument" instead he has to resort to verbal abuse, sad individual

for those of you intent on trying to provoke abuse for their entertainment, appear to have no practical knowledge to impart, i have no intention of wasting any more time on you.
i have tried to offer a practical solution to someone's problem, looking back at the thread i find it sad that there seem to be numerous posters to this thread that have turned it into a farce.
being new to this forum i've tried to offer helpful advice, but at least i think i've identified the negative saddo's who have no understanding of this subject, and who i've alerted the moderators attention to.

Perhaps we could have a fishing forum, "masterbaiter" would be an appropriate handle.

masterbuilder said:
and who i've alerted the moderators attention to.

so you have alerted the moderators that you are a sad person who can not hold an argument, thats nice of you

masterbuilder said:
for those of you intent on trying to provoke abuse for their entertainment, appear to have no practical knowledge to impart, i have no intention of wasting any more time on you.

People were only asking for detail of how your method cures the original problem and not just provides a cosmetic finish to disguise the problem. You just resorted to abuse.

i have tried to offer a practical solution to someone's problem, looking back at the thread i find it sad that there seem to be numerous posters to this thread that have turned it into a farce.

Seems only one did that, YOU.

being new to this forum i've tried to offer helpful advice, but at least i think i've identified the negative saddo's who have no understanding of this subject, and who i've alerted the moderators attention to.

So what if we don't understand (in your humble opinion)? Why don't you try to enlighten us instead of throwing your toys out of your pram?

Go to the Screwfix forum, there you will find real abuse.

I am sure the moderator will be writing to all us deliquent saddo's giving us a real pasting (tremble), and writing to you to thank you for your public spirited action.

I've had my damp problem not fixed by an expert just like you many years ago. I found out the cause (buried under their cosmetic fix) and cured it. But then what do I know?

masterbuilder said:
for those of you intent on trying to provoke abuse for their entertainment
Whatever gave you that idea ? The only abuse I can see is when you has go at Oilman.
It's will happens if you cannot give us a straight answer.
being new to this forum i've tried to offer helpful advice
No problem there, we can agree or disagree.
but at least i think i've identified the negative saddo's who have no understanding of this subject, and who i've alerted the moderators attention to.
Well you've done it now which is a shame. We are not here to upset you. You may also find this will backfired on you.

If you disagree with anyone then do it politey and give us a reason.

Don't you understand what we are trying to say ? Your method of curing damp is probably okay but surely not for long term, do you agree or not ?

It's a bit like painting over wet timber and the problem is still there under the paint.

To all, i'm sorry that things have gone this way. For my part i apologise if i was or seemed offensive or "big headed". Hopefully Masterbuilder will come back and contribute his undoubted expertise - i'm always willing and eager to learn.
For info. I was trained 25yrs ago at High Wycombe College by the man himself Mr Oliver, the author of the definitive books on the subject. I was further trained by a large Damp and Timber co. I also ran my own remedial co. and did extensive work for councils and mortgage and insurance co.'s
I am a tradesman with City & Guilds in a variety of trades including my own.
The oldest renovation i supervised was a 1499 farmhouse under careful expert gaze.
Damp work in my opinion is an almost total rip-off to the wallet and the bldg. fabric. Keep it simple, never cause further damage.

tim00, I have read through your posts, and I can't see where you have been offensive. Your points seem to be put in a confident way; nothing wrong with that.

I WILL ask questions when I don't understand how any solution cures a problem, just as people query my solutions to problems. (I make lots of mistakes). I just have to elaborate on the points I make, and maybe I can see I'm wrong again. If I don't get an answer that concurs with my understanding of physics, then I'll ask again. However right anyone may think they are, deriding all the rest of the contributors (as masterb.....) does not increase confidence in what they've got to say.

When I see complex or chemical remedies for damp problems, I think of the Dutch barn. Wacking great open space with a roof over it and not much otherwise. It's mostly dry underneath, I wonder why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back