damp plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in my shower the bottom run of tiles has been letting in water from the first line of grout, i have removed the said tiles ( they more or lesss fell off as the water had blown the adhesive behind and left the plasterboard all wet and crumbling. do i just wait for it to dry out and re stick the tiles or would it be possible to cut out and replace the wet plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
i managed to get the old tiles off intact and can re use them, but i think i will have to bodge the job as i cant re tile the whole shower its just too big a job, so i intend to cut out the old wet plasterboard and replace it with new plaster board or ive seen something in other threads called aqua board (does anyone know what this is?). if i leave say a 2mm gap between the new board and the old one will this stop any future capillery action? im very new to all this DIY stuf and don't want to bite off more than i can chew. also the house is only 5 years old so i dont know if the existing plasterboard is on battons or just stuck to the wall (you know what contractors are like!!) Any help would be appreciated as i am still waiting for the old board to dry out so wont be doing any more work till its dry

I'm afraid plasterboard is no good as it's not waterproof, really need to be tanked. Do a search on Moz or Jasonb for the details, come back if you can't find it or want to know more.

Found one here

thanks masona
i have read Moz's posts and found them very useful. have you heard of Aquaboard? or do you know anything better than plasterboard that i can use, as i will cut out the old plasterboard and refit new stuff then re tile over it!

it seems the easiest way forward at the moment...

Sponsored Links
Like I say plasterboard is no good in the shower area, have a read here inwhich I have written to the manufacter although I don't agreed with their reply but that's for you to decide.

I didn't bother with tanking or using tiles, I've used the shower wall panel which is waterproof in theory similar to tanking idea.

Many difference type of wall panel out there, mine is white fibreglass sheet panel

Here one of them

hi just woundering if any 1 can help as i am getting a loft conversion done atm the roof has been leaking in a few areas... now the roof has now been done from the outside as off yet but they have put the plasterboard up and brought plaster in the house.... i ask the workers that not 4 the cellening is it they sayed no but it was. now i have wet plasterboard plaster over and the roof still leaking what can i do ??? i would love 2 replace it but i dont want the workers beening funny about it as i brought it up 2 the plaster when i took him up a cup of tea and he wasnt 2 happy that i was question him on it ... as far as i know if the plasterborad get wet it never going 2 be the same will this cuz mold???? if it not replace??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back