damp proof course and sewage system in wrong place ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope you can help me with my problem.
I have an end-terrace house of solid wall construction built in 1896. The problem I have is the dpc on the party wall is at floor level but the dpc around the rest of the property is one brick course above the floor level.

To get around this problem I was going to inject a damp proofing 'cream' into the mortar at floor level.
Now this is where things get a little complicated, outside the property there is a yard which has been concreted over. This concrete is about 2-3 inches above the dpc and about 6 inches above my 'new' dpc. Below the concrete is the original paving and directly below this is the sewage system.

This would mean apart from digging out several skip loads of concrete paving and soil, the sewage system is going to be several inches (about 10") above ground level. :(

Has anyone else come across this? Is there a solution apart from painting it a pretty colour?

Forgot to say, I've exposed about 6 foot of the sewage pipe and it only has a fall of about one inch.

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Need some pics I think ;) Is the sewage pipe stone or plastic?.

I did mean to take some pictures but forgot my camera :rolleyes: , mobile pictures are rubbish.

Won't be back on site till Monday now.

Sewage pipe is clay/stone

Sponsored Links
Can you not remove a narrow strip of material local to the wall in question, say three feet and just lower this bit?

Recommended falls for sewer pipes is 1:40 or 1 inch every 4 foot. We have laid plastic pipes to a lot less without problems but the pipe laying needs to be very precise.

Old salt glaze clay pipes need all the fall they can get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back