Damp proofing single brick Victorian coal shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to get our coal shed damp proofed so it can be more useful. We had a quote for 5k for it to be done to a very high (basically liveable) standard which I dont think is unreasonable but I would love to do as much of the work as possible myself so thought I'd ask some generous people online for a bit of guidance.

As you can see in the photos there is what Im pretty sure is a water pipe and maybe... another water pipe? covered in something that has gone seriously rusty. These run down the left side wall.

The floor seems quite dry its just the roof and side walls that are really wet. Above this is a shared out door walkway which leads to the door for all the above flats. Water seems to be coming in from above as well as the sides judging by the stalactites in the photo.

It's quite a low ceiling so ideally want to avoid losing height on it.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated

Josh

Attachments

• IMG_3772.JPG
    IMG_3772.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_3771.JPG
    IMG_3771.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_3767.JPG
    IMG_3767.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_3766.JPG
    IMG_3766.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_3765.JPG
    IMG_3765.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3763.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 493
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 818
Sponsored Links
out of my league but someone that I worked with's son had a similar project.
Mind you, he was a gas and oil trader so cash wasn't a problem.

He had limited headroom and excavated about three feet down, then backfilled a new base.
If you have loads od spare time, you could save some dosh by doing some of the work yourself, but with guidance from someone who knows about tanking.

that sound quite a good price we used to put corragated sheets under the ceilings with internal gutters same as a lot of old underground sheds and tube stations and that wasnt cheap
is this under the pavement

Sponsored Links
do you get access direct from your flat or from outside?
youwont be able to live or sleep down there,theres no way out opening. the thing on the right hand wall is the old coal chute.
the blue mdpe looks only big enough to feed your flat, are the other flats supplied separately? the weird fittings arrangement need sorting, is that last bit of pipe copper or lead?.in fact youd be better with onelength of mdpe running from the external stop tap to your internal stop tap. the rusted metal supply might be abandoned but needs checking.

whats the state of the walkway above?
to tank they might channel and pump which means the floor is goin to be disturbed. some london firms are spot on doing this kind ofwork all the time.

youve got to think how water, elecs and heating are going to be fixed.and where will the pump pump to if that system is used

Firstly thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them

Ill check the forums for garage conversions thanks

The digging down sounds like a good idea but yes definitely need to find what Im sure lots of DIYers want but trades people dont, someone who really knows what theyre doing to tell you what to do whilst you're doing it for free or very little charge!

It stops at the pavement above is the shared entrance to the building for all the flats above.

The walkway's got the tiny old tiles on it and they could be in better condition, definitely areas of erosion around the edges of the walkway. Do you think that could be one of the issues? That sounds about right as there are other abandoned/disused water pipes that should have been removed but weren't in the flat. I've got a friend who's a plumber so hopefully he can help out there. "the weird fittings arrangement need sorting" you should see the electrics, we have a cupboard with electric meters and mains for all 5 flats above us inside our flat, I guess this happens with really old buildings sometimes. Ill check this channel and pump thing thanks. Im not actually looking to live in it its just the guy who gave the quote I think was trying to suggest it could be done to a liveable standard; add another bedroom etc etc. Wouldn't want that to be my bedroom even if it was damp proofed!

Thanks again!

still dont understand how you get in.

why not post photo of walkway and its surround?

Looks like the basement area in one of the old Regency buildings near the seafront in Hove.

Or in the rough end of St. Leonard's on sea;) If OP want's to do digging then those old pavers would be worth digging out - I'll pick them up in the van for free;)

the very rusty "pipe"

if it looks like it has had a steel bandage wrapped round it in the factory, could be an armoured electrical cable. I have seen them in buildings from the 1920's. It is more flexible than real pipe so it can hang in dangling curves.

Inside it, might be a variety of bitumen waterproofing, and perhaps a lead-sheathed paper-insulated cable. Follow the route and see if it goes towards a place where an electricity meter might have been.

If so it may well be live. Electricity "boards" and distributors are not extravagant enough to replace old cable that still works. Ask your DNO to come and look at it and declare if it is live or dead (their records are very bad so they won't know without looking). Don't cut it.

I found out its actually a gas pipe and I've got someone from SGN to come over next week to hopefully get it replaced, not ideal for electric but outright dangerous for gas. Not quite Hove but not far off

if that pipes gas you need a totaly new moderngas installation form street mains to your meter.dont allow them to piece in a length of pipe.

So they came round and its not a gas pipe, he didnt know what it was but knew it wasnt gas. It's cast iron underneath the rusted covering, Im still not sure how it can bend that much as it seems pretty solid where ive pulled the covering away. I tracked it back to the property but it goes off at a weird angle in a very tight housing so I can't tell exactly where it goes. Have to find out who to call out now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back