damp stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a stone cottage I have found high damp readings in one wall only.
There is render on the outside and the wall doesnt appear to have any tide marks or visible signs of damp on the inside.but it does feel cold if there is no heating on. I have put a de-humidifier in the room and there is a noticeable difference when its on.
I dont know how to solve the problem there is so many products advertised but considering the age if the cottage could I be doing more harm than good by using chemicals etc? Any advice would be helpful!

Sponsored Links
There is nothing to see on either the inside or outside wall. no damp no tide marks and no peeling paint on either side . Sorry I cant post a picture not that computer literate .

It sounds like an injected damp proof course may be your best bet......do you have stone floors, concrete or suspended timber?
John :)

Sponsored Links
What did you test with? a damp meter only detect surface moisture [condensation] you need a drilled core sample to test for damp.

there are no pipes outside ,there is an area of gravel bordering the house .the inside is higher than the outside.

I have been wondering about removing some of the plaster on the inside wall to see what might be the cause. Anyone got any thoughts on doing that? the real damp seems to be more inside than outside.

If the plaster is absorbing moisture from either within the wall or from the outside, there is usually some sort of efflorescence visible.....bubbling, dusting etc, and paint or wallpaper will be peeling off. Is there any sign of this?
John :)

there are no pipes outside ,there is an area of gravel bordering the house .the inside is higher than the outside.

I have been wondering about removing some of the plaster on the inside wall to see what might be the cause. Anyone got any thoughts on doing that? the real damp seems to be more inside than outside.

Before you go mad,It could be condensation in a cold room,Is there anything making a the atmosphere moist, ,clothes drying constantly. bathroom without extraction steamy kitchen ,if this is a room without heat or ventilation, all the moisture from the surrounding area will condense on cold wall's or single glassed window.

no there's nothing like that,Its a lounge wall that's damp (with central heating) there is no condensation and no clothes drying goes on there. that's why I am at a loss to know where to find a solution. I can find no reason for this damp reading but I am sure there is damp in the wall . the dehumidifier makes it a lot better. so i can only assume the problem is damp, cheers Marc

If the dehumidifier helps then it's condensation not damp.It only removes moisture from the air. You have vents in the room, fans in the kitchen and bathroom? :?:

Tanking could be a solution , this is a plastering process using, render with chamicals added,a post in the Plastering and rendering section would be useful to you.

thanks for both last 2 postings, there is an extractor fan in the kitchen and the bathroom to at the other end of the building with an extractor fan. The dehumidifier is up against the damp wall and when its been on some time the wall feels less cold,of course it creeps back when its been turned off a while.

Would tanking be possible on stone walls ? Some of these Old House websites say you have to let these old buildings breathe. and that modern methods cant be used on old buildings,that's why I am confused about the best way forward with this. I dont want to start something I cant finish :eek: [/u]

thanks to everyone who has sent replies to my query. I think I have found the solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back