Dampness in brick shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG
I have a brick shed attached to my house via a lean-to. Bought the house in June last year, no problems until the colder weather kicked in. I noticed a condensation problem on the back wall. Now I've seen mold growing on stored furniture. I have posted some pictures. I wonder if anyone can give some advice?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I assume its a single skin shed?

Realistically it will never be totally dry without spending a decent but on it. You could try increasing ventilation, especially a vent in the damp corner to encourage some cross flow ventilation.

Yes it is, with simple render. Was considering adding a layer of insulation boards, and re-skimming. Want to eventually use it as an office. But very cold in there right now and it's builds up condensation. Which I think is the picture of water on the floor. Floor tiles are freezing. Would the dampness/mold be caused by the coldness and lack of airflow, rather than a systemic water ingress?

Probably mainly condensation. In an unheated space you need very good ventilation and even then it will always be damp cold air.
Its good at least that it is rendered. You need to go a fair way to make it habitable. Think battening walls with dpm behind battens, insulation board across battens, vapour barrier and plasterboard. Or build a stud wall in front of the walls. As for the floor, dpm with celotex on top and a floating chipboard floor is probably the easiest and cheapest method. Be sure to ventilate any voids you create.

Sponsored Links
Posted 2 more pics. This is the corner from the outside. You can see it has drainage along the side and a down pipe. The second pic is the rear of the shed. As far as I can see now only the top 1/4 is rendered on that side. The wall runs practically up against the garden boundary fence. Any other advice based on this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back