Damsel in distress- changing brass light switch to plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change an old brass style light switch to an ordinary plastic one.
The existing switch is earthed.
2 red wires go into L2 at the bottom, and then one red wire goes into COM at the top.
The black wires dont go anywhere, but have a plastic connector type thing on the end!

I know that a plastic switch doesnt need to be earthed. I'm just a bit stuck on what I should do with it!
Any suggestions gratefully received as I want to prove to my husband that I can do this, as he refuses to touch electrics!!

Sponsored Links
If its a metal patress (the box that the switch forms the front of) then attach the earths to that, if it is a plastic pattress then terminate them in a piece of choc block (like on the neutrals)

depends how it's earthed, most probably, th earth cores from the cable go in to the earth terminal aswell as a short wire to earth the back box, if so remobve this wire and connect the earth core straight to the back box, if in doubt just remove all the wires from the brass switch and insert them into a piece of choc-bloc

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
If its a metal patress (the box that the switch forms the front of) then attach the earths to that, if it is a plastic pattress then terminate them in a piece of choc block (like on the neutrals)

you beat me :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back