Danish Oil splashes on table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spent the last couple of days putting Danish Oil into our new Pine table. I did it outside - partly to keep it away from accidents by kids in the house. I brought it in last night for the final dry and this morning there are four splashes about 2" in diameter that I just couldn't see in the sunshine outside. Any ideas how to remove them without sanding the whole table and starting again?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You coulkd try paper towel and Lighter fuel [petrol ]will dissolve the oil and use paper to soak up.OOO wire wool to clean any residue and leave a smooth finish.

You could lightly sand the splashes using very fine abrasive paper, 400 grade say, and then give another top coat of oil over the entire top. I'm not sure if you could simply rub in some DO over the sanded areas, and surroundings. I would have thought doing it outside would lead to a layer of pollen and dust embedded in the finish though.

I wouldn't sand as you will get particles in the coating. You could use a broad metal scraper while it is soft.

White spirit will clean soften and clean off oil if you do it quickly before it oxidises into varnish.

Danish oil is usually made of linseed oil mixed with white sprit. You are meant to wipe off any excess that does not soak in, or it will lie on the surface.

Sponsored Links
It is often recommended that you lightly sand between coats of DO to remove nibs. You wipe with a lint free cloth afterwards. DO generally contains tung oil, linseed oil and resins, though the mix seems to vary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back