Oil for outdoor pine table and chairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I’m building a basic table and benches out of pine boards (bear enough scaffold board size) and wondering the best way to treat. I’m really after something clear that protects against stains. I made an internal table a few years ago and treated with danish oil; however after it’s first night of use where we had friends round I noticed it had been marked by everyone’s oily fingers from crisps and other nibbles.

So I sanded back and used Fidde’s hard wax oil which I understand penetrates and sets deep within the wood, and I’ve used this on all internal projects since with great results.

However it’s not for external use (perhaps not UV stable?) so curious if there’s something else that’s recommended to achieve similar results. I’ve heard good things about osmo’s uv oil, and fiddes do their own external wood oil, but will it stand up to oily finger marks better than danish oil?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Osmo exterior oil is not suitable for horizontal surfaces.

From memory, it will provide UV resistance up to a factor of about 15.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back