Data and telephone through single cat 5e cable

Sorry, but there is a saying that when in a hole, you should stop digging. Your two previous posts reinforce what I've said - you can claim what you like, what you demonstrate is your lack of knowledge in the area.

If your cabling isn't gigabit capable then the only logical reason for that is you followed the false advice of someone on the internet (like yourself) who told you not to bother installing it properly. If you installed Cat5e properly, then it'll handle gigabit. You can pick up a gigabit switch now for peanuts - about what 100Mbit switches cost a few years ago. So as soon as two of your devices have gigabit then you gain.

The internet connection is largely irrelevant - though it's not actually all that far off now - FTTC goes up to 80M, FTTP goes up to (IIRC) 300M at a price. Lots of internal devices gain from gigabit vs running that at 100M - having a NAS (or other form of server) is quite common now and that really gains, as do my backups which take an age over 100M. Even the humble WiFi access point can gain now - some have (claimed) wireless rates well in excess of 100M.
I can tell you that copying files across the work network (100M) seems reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy ssssllllooooowwwwww compared with copying stuff at home where most of my kit is Gbit.

And you CAN mix and match - having a 100M switch won't reduce your gigabit switch throughput, it'll only reduce the throughput of traffic that actually goes through a 100M link/switch. SO there's no problem whatsoever having a 100M switch supporting oder kit (one of my printers is only 10M !)

The simple answer to the OPs post is : don't bother planning on fudging things, just install to the standard. If you do that then anything will "just work". You won't be coming back at some point in the future moaning that you didn't pull two cables when it would have been easy, and can anyone see a way around your problem :rolleyes:
Ignore idiots you tell you to not bother with the specs. They are shortsighted and will just lead you into making bad choices.

I understand all that you said and you can keep waffling on !!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
So if you understand why gigabit is a benefit, and why doing it properly is a benefit, why are you advising the OP to bodge it ?

So if you understand why gigabit is a benefit, and why doing it properly is a benefit, why are you advising the OP to bodge it ?
it

Op asked if he can share a network and phone line down one cat5 and I answered this is possible, I didn't suggest that is the best way to do it but if there is a reason as why op can only run one or one wire has only been laid then that may be the answer he needs gigabit Will function over 4 wires just not at full capacity. My suggestion is to run one cat5 for each point therefore you have redundancy if Mr builder damages a wire or you need to add a phone line or intercom system and you have no spare wires you can use existing. I do wiring for a living and I get called after house has been refurbished and then get asked can I put a phone or intercom without ripping house apart or wires showing.
I know the terminology and have done networking for large corporations even council so no point saying I do not understand or have enough experience in this field.

If you really are a network engineer then you'll know that what can be done or what should be done are not necessarily one and the same.

Besides, as others have said based on cost alone it's not worth scrimping. A future standard may require all pairs and you speak as though Gigabit in the home is a pipe dream, well it's not, its a reality. Most of us that have bothered with home nets have a gig network, it makes sense when you're streaming on multiple devices etc.

Add into the fact that VDSL (aka Infinity, fibre) can't be carried via your phone extension wiring, anyone who wants to move the 'modem' away from the master socket is going to be running another cat 5e/6/7 anyway.

p.s What cert level are you?

Sponsored Links
Op asked if he can share a network and phone line down one cat5 and I answered this is possible
Correct
I didn't suggest that is the best way to do it
So you didn't write :
Why would you run a extra wire when you can split off cat5, your speed will not be affected
which seems to very clearly suggest not bothering with two cables
and
it is for servers and fibreoptic networks
which quite clearly suggests that no home or small business user should bother about gigabit.

My suggestion is to run one cat5 for each point therefore you have redundancy if Mr builder damages a wire or you need to add a phone line or intercom system and you have no spare wires you can use existing.
That's not what your first post implied
I do wiring for a living and I get called after house has been refurbished and then get asked can I put a phone or intercom without ripping house apart or wires showing.
And the customer loves the answer to that doesn't he :rolleyes: Even better is when they come and ask for advice, then ignore it. Then ask for advice again, and ignore it. Then come back when the building is refurbished and somehow it's your fault.
I know the terminology and have done networking for large corporations even council so no point saying I do not understand or have enough experience in this field.
Me too - but I make a point of not using that to claim authority. It looks especially bad when it comes across as "look here you upstart, I do this for a living so don't you go questioning the gospel I hand down".

I judge by the standard of what you suggest/advise - as I'm happy to let people judge me by the advice I give. I know people who can make similar claims who I wouldn't trust to change a lightbulb, let alone go anywhere near a network.

Op asked if he can share a network and phone line down one cat5 and I answered this is possible
Correct
I didn't suggest that is the best way to do it
So you didn't write :
Why would you run a extra wire when you can split off cat5, your speed will not be affected
which seems to very clearly suggest not bothering with two cables
and
it is for servers and fibreoptic networks
which quite clearly suggests that no home or small business user should bother about gigabit.

My suggestion is to run one cat5 for each point therefore you have redundancy if Mr builder damages a wire or you need to add a phone line or intercom system and you have no spare wires you can use existing.
That's not what your first post implied
I do wiring for a living and I get called after house has been refurbished and then get asked can I put a phone or intercom without ripping house apart or wires showing.
And the customer loves the answer to that doesn't he :rolleyes: Even better is when they come and ask for advice, then ignore it. Then ask for advice again, and ignore it. Then come back when the building is refurbished and somehow it's your fault.
Me too - but I make a point of not using that to claim authority. It looks especially bad when it comes across as "look here you upstart, I do this for a living so don't you go questioning the gospel I hand down".

I judge by the standard of what you suggest/advise - as I'm happy to let people judge me by the advice I give. I know people who can make similar claims who I wouldn't trust to change a lightbulb, let alone go anywhere near a network.
#

simon it appers you have more time on your hands than work to spend time arguing when the op has not even bothered to respond.

simon it appers you have more time on your hands than work to spend time arguing when the op has not even bothered to respond.
Yeah, been rather quiet at work. Still, it means I have time to find the shift key and delete key :rolleyes:

Network +
CCNA

if you are looking for qualifications
:rolleyes: you should know better than offer shonky advice in that case.
Perhaps not. The CCNA doesn't cover it, and I'm not sure about Network +. Both are "base level" qualifications IIRC.

Yeah, been rather quiet at work. Still, it means I have time to find the shift key and delete key :rolleyes:

Network +
CCNA

Perhaps not. The CCNA doesn't cover it, and I'm not sure about Network +. Both are "base level" qualifications IIRC.

And let me guess your qualifications are

BIG MOUTH
CAN'T STOP TALKING

At least I had the courage to publish my qualifications unlike you the big mouthers on the forums are always a waste of time

Network +
CCNA

And let me guess your qualifications are

BIG MOUTH
CAN'T STOP TALKING

At least I had the courage to publish my qualifications unlike you the big mouthers on the forums are always a waste of time

I make a point of not talking about qualifications (yes I have them), tends to intimidate a lot of people and distract from the topic at hand. I also have several decades of experience in engineering and IT - including an apprenticeship with a large engineering firm.

But as had been pointed out, qualifications mean diddly squat if they don't stop you posting bad advice, and then getting all shouty if someone criticises that advice.
Look back at the OPs question : "I want to run wired cat 5 internet and extend the telephone line to the out room in the garden". Note the future tense there, this isn't a "can I do <something> with the cabling already installed", this is a "I'm planning to install cable". Advice to bodge it (and restrict what you can do in the future) when it should be easy to do it right is just wrong - you've said as much yourself. Now, shall we put this one to bed ?

before anyone asks i am more than qualified to answer this have years of experince as a sparky and network engineer.

No you're not :rolleyes:

Hi

Can i take a feed from socket ring to make spur and take feed from light switch, if i twist two neutrals together one from lighting and one form socket will this work or will it trip out mcb ?

Saj

Cannot understand why anybody would consider installing an out-dated system such as cat5 with its inherent slower speeds.

If you want a network point and a phone one then install a cat5e cable together with proper telephone cable and do the job properly.

Currently not using 1GB connections? You probably will do in the future, probably sooner than you envisage, to interconnect computers network drives etc. At that point you will realise the folly of not doing the job properly to start with!

Yes the job can be done 'on the cheap' with a single cable but for very little extra you can 'future proof' your work.

Cannot understand why anybody would consider installing an out-dated system such as cat5 with its inherent slower speeds.
Many people, myself included, tend to be a tad lazy and use the term "Cat 5" when we actually mean "Cat 5 e" (especially when talking). I imagine it's rare for people to actually mean Cat5 unless they are talking history.
If you want a network point and a phone one then install a cat5e cable together with proper telephone cable and do the job properly.
I tend to just stick with Cat5 … err I mean Cat5e :D … cable. There's little (if any) benefit to using CW1308 (standard phone cable) other than perhaps a marginal cost saving (very marginal in most home situations where it would mean having two lots of left over cable). A Cat5e cable can be used for pretty much anything - such a another network cable should you go VoIP.
Funniest of the lot is where someone has gone to the trouble of putting in "structured cabling" but just don't get it - so you have sockets labelled "Data" and others labelled "Voice", sometimes going to different patch panels. I've even come across people who are adamant that they are different and one can't be used for the other :rolleyes:
Currently not using 1GB connections? You probably will do in the future, probably sooner than you envisage, to interconnect computers network drives etc. At that point you will realise the folly of not doing the job properly to start with!
Indeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back