David Blunkett

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
I believe this is one of the saddest aspects of the whole affair, regardless of ones views, about the rights and wrongs. There can be little doubt that David Blunkett must be a real inspiration to other blind people.

Sponsored Links
Why?

It's very rare for me to take a stance on political issues, but on this one I say that blindness has no effect whatsoever.

I have a wheelchair-bound friend with whom I have had several arguments. To me, I feel she abuses her disabled parking badge. She has an able-bodied son of 15, yet when in town shopping she will still park on double-yellows without leaving the car, for him to run into the shops for her. If she herself was getting out of the car I'd understand it.

I had an interview this week in Nottingham city centre, she offered me her badge so I could park. I refused and took the train.

This is one of my closest friends I'm talking about, I'm sure other people take the p*ss even more.

ninebob... I think you may be taking my comments out of context and really need to read the last 2 posts to understand what I am saying.

Bet this happens to politicians all the time when people see one bit without the other. Page overlap I suppose. :LOL:

I have read your comments back and still have the same opinion of DB. As it happens, I have some sympathy in respect of his personal situation. Personally, if I was to say that I have always been faithful to my partner at the time, I'd be a liar. But that has never had an effect on my professionalism. Who I choose to jump into bed with on any given night, in my opinion does not affect my ability to go into work the following morning and do my job. What I don't agree with is sympathy purely on account of his disability - as far as I'm aware he still has his faculties.

Sponsored Links
But you hadn't given an opinion about David Blunkett you had only commented about blindness or disability in itself. I agree about abuse of disability badges but that is not what we were discussing.

The point is, did you ever have a job with so much influence? In reality anybody who believes he didn't have an effect of some sort, in that visa application, is being extremely naive. What faith can you have in a top guy who sees a spouse(not his) and mistress(expenses wise) as the same thing, did he not understand the small print? Also don't forget someone in the civil service fastracked her application and they have still not said why or who. Was it just a coincidence? if they can do it for one how many more do they do it for? should ministers be allowed preferential treatment? There are too many unanswered questions and it suits new labour if he isn't there at the moment.

Make no mistakes the Gov is talking damage limitation, we are too close to an election for much more to come out. If(probably when) they are back in they will bring him back.

They are treating us like fools.

D & J, I think we are actually arguing the same thing, not opposing!

My current job is in management at a global chain of 4* hotels. If I were to arrange, without asking, for my lover and a couple of friends to stay for a week, free of charge, I would expect to be fired if it ever came out. Abuse of priveleges.

Of course, the level I'm at means that I could pull stunts like this week in and week out. The hotel isn't full, who would be to know if I had 20 mates living it up every night?

But I know where my bread's buttered. I earn a good salary so I don't take the p *ss and abuse my position. I just think that sometimes, goverrnment officials don't see this...

masona said:
david and julie said:
I have have an awful feeling then many people are sympathetic with Mr Blunkett for the wrong reasons. Lets face his fate was in his own hands in the first place.
I have to agreed with you 100% but can't help feeling sorry for him because he's blind, can't be easy.

Could partly be, he was there because of it, not in spite of it !!

Anyway David who ?? 24 hrs is a long time in politics, 3 days a lifetime !
A very tough job, but well paid, good pension and a place in history ... I guess you have to be special to survive.

P

A shame to lose one of our best politicians ever I hope he gets back to politics soon otherwise it'll be a real waste, (no-one seems to question Kimberly Quinns motives)

Richardp said:
A shame to lose one of our best politicians ever I hope he gets back to politics soon otherwise it'll be a real waste, (no-one seems to question Kimberly Quinns motives)
Somehow, I don't think she will get away with it, just wait & see............

typical over-reaction again why can't the media let up on anyone they feel doesn't agree with them and pick up on the most trivial of things and blow them out of all proportion , as i said before the country has lost a great politician and a man of integrity who has played into the hands of the vile paparazzi in order to protect loved ones. hurry back David your country will miss you.

Sponsored Links
Back