David Blunkett

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
Steady on pipme.

David knew how many careers / reputations have foundered on the rocky shores of relationships

You had me worried for a minute, until see you added this.

I do not think dave is a t###er at all, I still think he wanted out

Not much mention of the guy in charge of law and order and the old train tickets is there? The opposition can't be all that bothered, wonder if it's just excepted practice?

I may be mistaken but I am sure our employers don't call that sort of thing either a lapse or mistake. I actually see this as more important than the other issue.

Sponsored Links
Once the Newspapers lock on ... there had better not be even a partial skeleton in the old cupboard. The whole thing has a bad smell because of the Law and Order association .. It must be really hard to maintain the standards demanded. But he knew the Buzzards were always hovering.
I agree on the ticket thing, first reaction freeby !! Look where david came from, council leader etc ... Used to sloshing the dosh !!

P

pipme said:
I think it should matter, trust etc is important.
High office - high stakes - close scrutiny - Little margin for error.
P

You think trust is synonymous with marital status, do you? I don't and doubt pretty much whether Norma Major, Michael Quinn or Mary Fragrant Archer would either.

No... patently it is not synonomous ... but it should be, otherwise what is the point ?
I wonder what chance Jeff Archer or John M would have of high office, following their escapades ... If they cheated their wives, who closer ? They must have been pretty major, bare faced liars .... not trustworthy.
P

Sponsored Links
But forget politicians for the moment. What about company directors who roger their secretaries or anything else in skirt (or trousers for that matter)? These guys might be answerable to shareholders for what can be counted in billions. Are we then to conclude that the inability to keep it inside their pants renders them incapable/unfit to fulfil their corporate duties? Sorry to say Pip, but it seems to me that these values belong to a different era altogether.

The two can't really be compared, one produces accounts and his results are plain to see. Whereas the other can blame all manner of reasons for his poor record, not that politicians ever justify anything anyway.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is money. Is this all to publicise his book and how much pension will he get and when? Will he then do the old after dinner bit? Are his earnings going to be the same without the hassle?There's more to this than meets the eye and he may just be the first.

As regards adultery, yes it is more common in all walks of life, but that doesn't make it right. The problem is when people who are privy to state security, leave themselves open to blackmail, thats when it becomes an issue.

chainsaw_masochist said:
But forget politicians for the moment. What about company directors who roger their secretaries or anything else in skirt (or trousers for that matter)? These guys might be answerable to shareholders for what can be counted in billions. Are we then to conclude that the inability to keep it inside their pants renders them incapable/unfit to fulfil their corporate duties? Sorry to say Pip, but it seems to me that these values belong to a different era altogether.
Oi !! Those barstewards aren't trustworthy ask the people losing their pensions, after the sleazbags have nicked more than their share of the pot ... Unfit to be trusted I say and BTW the shareholders are beginning to demand a little more .. Plenty of directors screwing their own companies .. and I have known a few at it in my time.

But then it is the standards which are dropping right across the board ... then what can you expect from a bunch of lefty holier than thou gits, not fit to enter the House never mind Govern.

david and julie said:
The two can't really be compared, one produces accounts and his results are plain to see. Whereas the other can blame all manner of reasons for his poor record, not that politicians ever justify anything anyway.

Perhaps they cannot be compared as such. It is simply my contention that you could not regard marital status as conferring any additional levels of probity or principle on either the company director, the politician or anybody else for that matter.

david and julie said:
As regards adultery, yes it is more common in all walks of life, but that doesn't make it right. .

No, it does not make it right, but the fact is that it is prevalent and I find it difficult to conceive that it has much bearing on as to how any individual performs at their job.

david and julie said:
The problem is when people who are privy to state security, leave themselves open to blackmail, thats when it becomes an issue.

Yes, I agree. But in this instance we are talking an example of the fast tracking of a visa application. Clearly wrong of course, but in the realm of things pretty small beer. In terms of significance it is in striking contrast to say the Profumo affair of the '60's or indeed the Maudling issue of the '70's.

pipme said:
Oi !! Those barstewards aren't trustworthy ask the people losing their pensions, after the sleazbags have nicked more than their share of the pot ... Unfit to be trusted I say and BTW the shareholders are beginning to demand a little more .. Plenty of directors screwing their own companies .. and I have known a few at it in my time.

But then it is the standards which are dropping right across the board ... then what can you expect from a bunch of lefty holier than thou gits, not fit to enter the House never mind Govern.

Yes, agree wholeheartedly. It's a consequence of the no-blame culture. Fraudulent company directors rarely get banged-up, though perhaps their secretaries are less fortunate? :LOL: Likewise manifest corporate culpability re train crashes etc seems to go totally unpunished.

Still reckon in terms of outright corruption there's more going on within local councils than Parliament, though. Admittedly, this is more notion than conviction.

kevplumb said:
showing your age now c m :)

Actually I am showing a seventeen year olds dexterity at key internet news selection over the last fifty years to strengthen my argument. I gotta go to bed now 'cos me mum might catch me! Yikes! :oops:

It a bad day to see such a great man and politician forced to resign by the media vultures. I hope he gets back to a ministerial post very soon.

Which media vulture was it that ,allegedly, helped with the visa application and made "lapses" with the train tickets then?

Most politicians treat the electorate with utter contempt, without the press they would be even worse.

I have have an awful feeling that many people are sympathetic with Mr Blunkett for the wrong reasons. Lets face his fate was in his own hands in the first place.

david and julie said:
I have have an awful feeling then many people are sympathetic with Mr Blunkett for the wrong reasons. Lets face his fate was in his own hands in the first place.
I have to agreed with you 100% but can't help feeling sorry for him because he's blind, can't be easy.

Sponsored Links
Back