De scaling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If lets say a heat exchanger was seperate from a boiler lets say a Thorn appollo 15/30 gas boiler and you were about to descale just the exchanger on its own,

what would you use?
how would you use it?
whats the exchanger made from?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
lets say hydrocloric acid

lets say VERY CAREFULLY

copper

WHAAAATTTT????? You trying to induce chloride attacks on the stainless steel or summat?

If it's on the DHW side, citric acid will work fine. If its on the primary side, phosphoric acid will work. I did it with Kamco's FX2, no problems.

I wouldn't have thought Cl would do a lot in the time it's in there. ?

I can't use Kamco without a clear flow, can I?

The seals or compound on the joints to the exchanger are red and look very thin, obviously not PTFE, what product is this?

Would it be worth removing the exchanger on its own or try to de scale the whole system? it seems the exchanger is so scaled it kettles the water inside, causing awful noises yet the boiler burns well and pumps fine

oilman said:
kevplumb said:
lets say hydrocloric acid

lets say VERY CAREFULLY

copper

WHAAAATTTT????? You trying to induce chloride attacks on the stainless steel or summat?

If it's on the DHW side, citric acid will work fine. If its on the primary side, phosphoric acid will work. I did it with Kamco's FX2, no problems.

since when has an apollo had a sec h/e and when was it stainless :?:

Pacman said:

The seals or compound on the joints to the exchanger are red and look very thin, obviously not PTFE, what product is this?

Would it be worth removing the exchanger on its own or try to de scale the whole system? it seems the exchanger is so scaled it kettles the water inside, causing awful noises yet the boiler burns well and pumps fine

scuse me if i missed something here

but lets say the heat exchanger was seperate from a boiler :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

kevplumb said:
Pacman said:

scuse me if i missed something here

but lets say the heat exchanger was separate from a boiler :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Lets say as in lets imagine didn't mean its actually sitting in front of me right now, just trying to get some useful advice which is damn hard from some.

fear.gif

Pacman said:
Lets say as in lets imagine didn't mean its actually sitting in front of me right now, just trying to get some useful advice which is damn hard from some.

Asking a straight question without all the flowery bits might have got a straight answer.

oilman said:
Pacman said:

Asking a straight question without all the flowery bits might have got a straight answer.

I searched the forum before posting
I posted several threads detailing as much as possible

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20757&highlight=apollo

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20737&highlight=apollo

What else can I do :?:

kevplumb said:

since when has an apollo had a sec h/e and when was it stainless :?:

How do I know? I know nothing about gas boilers, damn dangerous if you ask me.
cool.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back