De-soldering copper tee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a small leak that weeps from a tee just up from my stopcock which splits to take water to an outside tap.

Unfortunately I've had to cut a hole in the plasterboard to get to it. Anyway, I want to replace the tee ideally with a new soldered one.

Am I right I assuming the de-soldering process is just as you would think?

I was going to:

1. close the stopcock/turn of in road
  2. use the drain down above stopcock (see pic) to remove water from the pipe
  3. unscrew pipe connection above stopcock so that I've got some play to move the pipe/pull it downwards when I heat up the tee.
  4. Unscrew at the outside tap compression isolator valve for same reason (you can just see this through the round hole in the plaster)
  5. Heat up the tee and pull pipes out of tee when up to temperature.

Assuming the above is ok, can I then simply solder the new tee in place even if the existing pipes ends are tinned? Obviously I would clean them as best I could before re-soldering.

Or would you use a compression tee rather than soldered tee as a replacement?

Or would you cut the tee out? and replace with a new bit of pipework connected with some straight connectors?

Any advice/suggestions welcome?!

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 174
Sponsored Links
I am not a big fan of push fit connectors by any means but just cut it out and clean the copper pipes properly and use push fit copper connectors , expensive for a pro but not a big cost for DIY

I would just replace with new section's of copper and soldered fittings.

If it was me and if you have the equipment, torch, flux etc to hand then no reason not to heat that tee out, re-heat and wipe the ends clean with a damp rag with flux on it and then fit a new one in. Use a yorkie to make it easier for you.

Sponsored Links
I am not a big fan of push fit connectors by any means but just cut it out and clean the copper pipes properly and use push fit copper connectors , expensive for a pro but not a big cost for DIY
Recipy for disaster for inexperienced if any burr is left on the copper

I wouldn't be using push fit on pipes that have been unsweated. If there's an unseen imperfection, it might not grip properly. Even very small imperfections can cause problems with push fit. Also wouldn't like p/f fitting hidden in wall.I would unsweat if there's room and enough play in pipes, then solder in new fitting. As said already, Yorks fitting would be easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back