Tee Piece Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help, I want to replace an existing Yorkshire tee piece with a new one, the existing one is in a horizontal mains water pipe.

The reason I think I will need to replace the tee is because the one leg of the tee has a very short stub of pipe and compression stop end on it, if I try to reheat to get the stub end off to put a longer pipe in, I’m worried that the other two joints will start leaking.

Also is there anyway of getting water out of the pipe as I have heard water can still lie in the pipes and be attracted by the heat and it only needs a pin hole in the soldered joint to cause a leak.

I can’t really flex the pipe down because it runs across the joists as opposed to running with them.

Many thanks to anyone who can help

Sponsored Links
any reason why you don't take off the compression blank and fit a compression straight or bend? as this would be so much easier

Thanks for the reply Kirkgas, the leg that I need to extend does have a compression stop fitted to it, but the stub of pipe it is fitted onto will not allow me to cut it off and then be able to fit a new olive, unless of course I leave the existing olive and nut on and as you say use the remaining part of a new straight compression coupling, I don't know how well the used olive will seal in the new fitting.

Guess, I was thinking of a soldered joint because it is one of those which be hidden by a plasterboard ceiling and will not be accessible from above, so if I do get any problems at a later date, fingers crossed that I don’t, it would mean removing a piece of the ceiling to get at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back