Dead shower, charred cable

CBX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Title says it all really.

Was in shower yesterday, and it just stopped (luckily at an OK point in the wash routine - OK TMI). Lights on the unit dead, but hadn't tripped the consumer unit shower circuit.

After isolating the circuit, and doing a little investigation, it looks like the pull cord isolater (or whatever it's called), has a charred live cable. I've not identified whether it's the supply or the load but after reading about this type of problem on forums etc today it looks like it will be the supply side. Apparently this is a common problem often related to the wires becoming lose and arcing etc. I do turn the pull cord to off after using the shower, but never while it's running (which I understand it is not designed for).

Inside the shower unit is fine from a visual inspection point of view.

The shower is on it's own circuit with RCD protection, fitted about 5 years ago. I will check when I get home, but I think it's an 8.5Kw unit, with a 10sqmm T & E cable with a run about 15-20m long.

If I can safe and competently do so, I'd like to fix the problem myself. I don't think there is enough slack to cut the charred cable enough to get shiny, un-overhaeated copper, so I'm looking at replacing a section or all of it. I can get access to the cable about 7m back in the airing cupboard, and wondered if a suitable junction box would be OK (it would be inspectable). I know replacing the whole cable is probably better, but involves taking up carpet/floorboards which I'd rather not do. Plus I'd have to mess with the consumer unit if I were to do it myself.

- Should I be replacing the pull cord unit even if there's no obvious damage?
- If I just replace the cable (with a 10sqmm not a different size) is this work notifiable?
- How about if I put in a junction box to replace just part of the cable?

If this is way beyond what a non Part P registered (but hopefully still non-useless) person could even consider feel free to tell me so.

TIA

Sponsored Links
You are just replacing like for like, if you do have to use a jb then a 60a.
and i would change the switch.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBX
Great thanks.

I was wrong about the 10sqmm T & E cable though - it's 6.

Run is 16 meters, shower is 8.5 Kw. On a 40A mcb RCD protected. Run breakdown:

- 5 meters in loft, lying over (but in contact with) insulation. If I replace the cable I could probably make it so it doesn't touch it.
- 2 meters in airing cupboard
- 2 meters under floorboard, some of which about 30cm from hot water pipe
- 7 meters clipped to garage wall

I recognise some of those factors derate the cable. Any views on the suitability of 6sqmm here?

If it has to be replaced totally then I'd go with 10 of course, but if I can still use 6 then I'll just use a jb in the airing cupboard.

I appreciate if I go with 10 then it will a) be alot more expensive due to cable cost and the whole 16m will need to be replaced and b) I won't be able to do it due to LABC etc.

I recognise some of those factors derate the cable. Any views on the suitability of 6sqmm here?

Sponsored Links
This post, for me, highlights the flaw in the Approved Document regarding the replacement of 'damaged' cables: The actual guidance is that a one-off, so-called damaged cable may be replaced without Notification provided that the replacement is the "same size as the original - and follows the same route".

This silly piece of 'guidance' when taken literally, doesn't take into account that the original cable might be under-sized in the first place - and that its route might be inappropriate (e.g: sharing a joist-notch with heating pipes).

Wouldn't it be so much better if that guidance stated that such a replacement length should be appropriately sized to the load and installed in the proper manner according to BS etc?

Lucia.

Wouldn't it be so much better if that guidance stated that such a replacement length should be appropriately sized to the load and installed in the proper manner according to BS etc?
No, because the people who make this **** up seem to think that everything is done perfectly the first time, always by qualified sparks. And that not a single installation in the country can be made any safer or better than it already is. So no, it wouldnt be better :LOL:

But I'd be changing a 6sqmm with a 10sqmm. Doesn't that qualify as a change needing notifcation?
No, you're replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit. See 1(b) in Schedule 2B.

Thanks for all the advice.

It sounds as though replacing just part of the cable with 6sqmm and a junction box is an option, as is replacing the whole lot with 10sqmm.

The latter involves me messing with the CU, but presumably as long as I'm not an idiot and am careful, then this should be OK both for me and the law.

That particular link to Schedule 2B, is incomplete and therefore misleading without the additional footnotes for each item.

"Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or inpact"*

* "Providing that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity and follows the same route".

As I've said: this 'rule' needs amending. The Approved Document isn't there to encourage the novice to tinker about in the consumer unit.

If the O/P feels confident enough to tackle the job, then good luck to him.

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back