dead SMC Cadet CH pump, need to replace it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, just joined, I need some advice on my central heating pump,

the existing pump which as far as I can tell is a SMC Cadet S, which I think dates from the early 70's, well it's gone & died this weekend, smells a bit burnt out & popped the fuse yesterday, I've got the pump motor off the body & found some of the internal windings connection broken/burnt.

what is the best replacement pump that will be a straight swap ?

Sponsored Links
A Grundfos :idea: But measure the length of the pumpflange/pump flange. some of those ( though I think not yours) were longer and need spacers. That pump is possibly 1960`s :eek:

Thanks Nige, I'll easure it tomorrow & see if I can obtain a replacement.

It will either be 130mm or 180mm. If 180mm you will need an extension piece unless the pipe can move 50mm

Sponsored Links
The SMC pumps were surprisingly reliable and even after 30 years there are still a few still working.

Most are replaced while still working on system upgrades!

The latest pumps are more powerful and the system may operate rather differently.

Any pump is better and I would almost suggest the cheap DAB pump as a suitable replacement although the Grunfoss is a very good.

Tony

Thanks Guys, I'll let you know how I get on with changing the old dead one.

just to close this one down, I bought a Wilco Gold 50 130mm pump, which according to it's box is a suitable replacement for the old pump, it's now fitted & working, had to extend a short section of pipe by replacing it with a longer section,

Thanks to all who replied for your assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back