Dead Zanoussi double oven &ceramic hobs stand alone cook

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Zanoussi double oven & ceramic hobs stand alone cooker worked fine for over a year. However, we had guests last month and I had to use the four rings at the same time. I had the three rings on but as soon as I switched on the fourth ring. I hear a small explosion sound inside the cooker and the whole light in the kitchen went off. I checked the fuse box and I found that the circuit breaker for the cooker off. I flipped it back to on again. Now the whole cooker is out of order ie if I switch on any ring or oven , the circuit breaker switches off- it looks like the cooker have a major short circuit. Any suggestion or help on how to bring the cooker back to life, would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would have a guess that its the mains cable going to the cooker, maybe wrong size.
Switch off power, remove the mains cable cover (probably on the rear).
Have a look.
Check that the cable is the correct size, check that there are no shorts on the terminal board.

Does the cooker have a neon indicator to show that power is going to the cooker & if so is it on when you reset the circuit breaker without selecting a ring or oven? Sounds more like you have an internal s/c inside the cooker as you suspect but do you have the equipment & knowledge to carry out testing?

Thank you mates for your swift replies. The cable connecting the cooker to the mains is of the right thickness and meeting manufacturer’s specifications. Even the timer light does not come on. When I connect my basic multimeter to the terminals of the cooker it shows that the circuit is closed even though all ring and oven knobs are all at zero position. Something is causing a short-circuit inside the cooker?

Sponsored Links
If you have got the back panel off, it should be difficult to see the problem. Most of the circuits will be individually wired back to the main terminal block.
You may be getting your reading via the timer.

Just take removing cables as the terminals can become brittle & break, use plyers to disconnect. each circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back