Dealing with voltage drop

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
What's the L-N fault current (pscc) at the end of the long run? If volt drop is out of spec, that may be too, and that's a requirement of the regs not a recommendation/not applicable here like volt drop

Sponsored Links
That's the maximum theoretical draw (all on full white), in reality it's going to be far lower.
Are you sure of that? 8A at 230V is 1,840 W, and 1,840 W's worth of LEDs would be 'equivalent' to something in excess of 14,000 W's worth of traditional incandescent light bulbs (i.e about 140 x 100W bulbs)..

Exactly what, and how extensive, are these "Christmas decorations"?

Kind Regards, John

This 1699255134825.png I see as a problem, 1699255197441.png one looks at the package and sees 60 watt, only when one looks more careful do you see really only 9 watt, and they all seem to be the same. Also this
1699255463597.png
one sees the dimmable sign, any yes can be dimmed but not with a standard dimming switch.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure of that? 8A at 230V is 1,840 W, and 1,840 W's worth of LEDs would be 'equivalent' to something in excess of 14,000 W's worth of traditional incandescent light bulbs (i.e about 140 x 100W bulbs)..

Exactly what, and how extensive, are these "Christmas decorations"?

Kind Regards, John

I'm just going by what the installers have said the absolute maximum draw can be and working with that. There's also some processing going on, so I'm guessing the electronics are taking a chunk of that power.

As I think I said, this is a large commercial display

I'm just going by what the installers have said the absolute maximum draw can be and working with that.
Fair enough.
There's also some processing going on, so I'm guessing the electronics are taking a chunk of that power.
I doubt that the electronics will consume significant power (in comparison with the display itself). I would imagine that my mobile phone has far more processing capability than would be needed to control the display!
As I think I said, this is a large commercial display
I confess that I was going just by you original post, and had not noticed your subsequent ...
.... Should probably add that this is a shopping centre Christmas display!
However, i still don't think that voltage drop is something to worry about. The 3%/5% figures are only recommendations for fixed installations and, as you've said, a voltage drop of even 50% ought to be OK if the display is being powered via SMPSUs. However, as has been said, the one thing to check is that the loop impedance is sufficiently low (since that is a requirement, not just a recommendation) - but that very probably will not be a problem.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back