Dear Santa , boys toys!

I bet David Beckham will get one for Christmas and all celebs will have one by the end of next year. Diamond encrusted ones for the ladies of course. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I can't think of any British troops who have fallen in Ukraine but I'm pretty sure that if they did their family would be told...

Not in the Ukraine no but certainly in Iraq, Afghanistan, and since the Second World War Korea , Aden , Malaysia ,and Kenya for example?

Sponsored Links
An indian restaurant owner and very good friend of mine bought and ran a tank on the road as a promotional vehicle, IIRC it was an abbot self propelled gun, drove it on a car licence, this is the same guy who bought an ex Cathay pacific Tri-Star and was going to plonk it on Pride park in Derby and convert it into an Indian restaurant but the do gooders in the council wouldn't give him planning, he still has the plane somewhere

EDIT:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/31/3

Not in the Ukraine no but certainly in Iraq, Afghanistan, and since the Second World War Korea , Aden , Malaysia ,and Kenya for example?

That is to be expected, it is such a shame that Russian families don't get the same courtesy.

Things to do with a tank.

Probably the most benign thing done?

I heard a radio 4 programme about an American tank that was recovered after a horrendous so called accident during advanced training for D-Day when a flotilla of troop ships was attacked by a flotilla of E-Boats and the troop ships floundered causing a huge amount of fatalities amongst the American troops.

Long very good story later, one of the tanks that was lost in the above was recovered and put on show by a totally dedicated individual.

There is a good read, but I cannot recall the name of the book, I await to be corrected by the board?

Ken- can't help on that but did you see on a recent D Day documentary they mentioned two simple things that had huge impact ?

One was the quick release parachute rig that the British had , while the American set up led to many deaths. This was due to dropping into areas that the Germans had flooded to hinder Allied parachute landings, and many Americans drowned as they struggled to release themselves.

Another one was the distinctive smell of the grease that the Germans used. This helped Allied troops to link up after dropping, as they could literally sniff out German posts while they picked their way through territory.

Micilin, Hi

I think the disaster I was on about earlier was operation tiger?

Basically after a load of international red tape an American tank that had been on the exercise in a landing craft was recovered from the Sea bed by a very dedicated individual who then dis some restoration, painted it I think pink? and placed it on display, getting donations that went towards charities Etc.

A fitting end for a Sherman? not much of a match for a tiger but ?

Ken

Yes - I know it's not conquering everest or finding a cure for cancer, but I am always amazed by the detemination of some people once they get something in their head.

what issues were there re red tape?

Completely understand. the determination of one individual can move even a government.

There was a huge apathy both UK and USA, the event better called a disaster was cloaked in secrecy until well after the war ended, there were nearly 800 Americans killed in the exercise, but it was hushed up completely at the time, I can fully understand why, the effect on Moral within the troops heading fro the beech on D-Day would have been catastrophic plus the publics horror at this.

on Wikipedia, there is a load of info, try operation tiger plus the closely associated Battle of Lyme bay ?

The individual had hells own job getting permissions from UK Government who in effect owned the beach and the debris on it, the tank was in effect still in the ownership of the USA.

I recall that a relationship grew over a long time between the person who organised the recovery and display the recovered Sherman and the Official acting for and on behalf of the USA who was based in Hawaii, the Radio 4 programme made It clear that the USA Official was on side but had to toe the line.

As far as I know, this Sherman is still on display as a permanent memorial

makes you think?

JBR, hi

Would that be the hand held or the shoulder mounted version?

Sponsored Links
Back