Deck sloped for water run-off, what about the posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably going to sound like a very silly question, but...

If you want your deck to slope slightly to allow the water to run off, how do you get a sloped deck attached to straight posts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I want to bolt through two joists (side and front) onto a straight post, will the angle not really make any difference?

Obviously the joists will not sit flush with the posts, or will they?

I don't really understand why people bother with falls on decks, sure on a patio as the water will have no where to run off and there's a possibility of pooling but on a deck! Not only are there gaps between the deck boars but they have grooves in anyway. Hardly gonna get a load of standing water!

Sponsored Links
I don't really understand why people bother with falls on decks, sure on a patio as the water will have no where to run off and there's a possibility of pooling but on a deck! Not only are there gaps between the deck boars but they have grooves in anyway. Hardly gonna get a load of standing water!

Yes you will. I have been called in too many times to fix them to think otherwise.

That said, you need a very small fall, as once the deck is oiled, water runs off pretty well, So the issue the OP is referring to is not much of an issue.

I was just about to start a new thread when I saw this one...

my question is: How serious is pooled water?

My very-wide deck is perfectly level except at the end of 4 boards, where they raise a bit. This slight incline means there is a pool of water, filling the grooves and spilling over in the middle.

This bit never dries... Everything else seems to drain, even though it's level. (i hope this helps terry hawkins)

on a side note, I've learned loads about decking since it was installed.

Some points to help others:

- wood goes grey so fast unless you oil it. Protect your investment!

- no board should touch the walls or any posts - a few mm will ensure drainage and ensure no green algae grows. Once the green/black stuff starts, it looks awful!

- the joists under your deck should be cleared from the wall using metal spacers. otherwise they are always wet and trap water against the house, plus they bring more algae.

Unfortunately my builders had different opinions on some of the above, but in each case they cause no extra effort and give a better result. Why not?

Sorry, back on track (rant over) - how serious is pooling water? Will it start to rot out?

Yes you will. I have been called in too many times to fix them to think otherwise.

That said, you need a very small fall, as once the deck is oiled, water runs off pretty well, So the issue the OP is referring to is not much of an issue.
My decks level, never had a problem,so there!

I just got my decking done months ago but I've been concerned with the water pooling too

Is it serious? The decking is level so it's a nightmare to dry off after the rain, should I get the joiner back out to fix it now before it's too late?

The deckin is stained but it's more the buildup of water that's a nightmare when frost hits!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back