Decked Over manhole - selling property!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am at serious panic stations currently. I am in the process of selling my house, and one of the enquiries is over the fact that 'no pipework has been built over'. Now the problem is I am a total prat, and I built my decking 18 months ago and built it over the freaking manhole cover in my garden.

Now, I didn't concrete or joist over it, just laid the planks over the top, with a cross beam resting on it, and screwed them down...however I was a total prat and didn't check to make sure Thames Water was happy with it. Now I have rung their customer service department and spoke to a women who said it wouldn't be a problem, as long as it was removable should there be a problem with the drains (that's what she did) ....but that I need to speak to their building development team to confirm. Now I checked on their website and they only seem to refer to large permanent structures and then £1000s worth of inspections & certifications required.

Now, with the enquiry I have to answer 'yes' to building over it obviously, but if I put an explanation of 'access via 4 removable decking boards (numbers 4,5,6,7 from fence) screwed into place covering it' am I likely to be totally shafted by them? Anyone think of a wording to make it seem less of an issue? Should I take photos and detail the manhole & planks covering it, send them the photo I took showing the joists around it?

Anyone ever been in this situation with their decking/man hole covers?

*******s

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, wooden decking is a "temporary structure" so your manhole is not "built over" As you have indicated. removable boards with a "map" showing location of manhole should be perfectly adequate to any half-intelligent person.

I'm not sure decking can be classed as building over, they mean a shed or garage or extension really. After all access, whilst not instant would not be difficult just the removal of a few decking boards. If it were me I'd just say I'd not built over it. Why on earth did you ring the water company?

I am hoping I am panicing for nothing, there are no joists or structural elements over it, and its only 4-5 planks screwed into place so with a drill access would only take 15mins to access!

All depends on how funny they want to be over it, worse case scenario it will be a long drive one weekend and a few hours worth of cutting an access hatch in! Dammit :(

edit: I rang the sewerage company as it's a sewer access hatch. Wanted to see if they have anything to add, women I spoke to said she decked over her drain hole, after ensuring access wasn't permanently blocked. She then told me I need to speak to their development department for a solid answer though.

Sponsored Links
Provided, as you say, there are no joists over the manhole and it's just a question of removing a few deck boards to gain access then I wouldn't consider it to have been "built over" at all.

So I'd have answered no to the question and left it at that.

Me and a mate were involved with a company here in Bristol that made and fitted conservatories, our job was to build the base, brickwork concrete or whatever, we usually had two a day, so in the morning prep and then concrete in the afternoon, we got to one, cleared the turf and lo and behold a manhole cover that the surveyor had missed, the concrete wagon was pre booked, so while i'm still scratching my head my mate scatters some earth over the offending item, sorted.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: later that same day it was covered with 4" of concrete.

And i think to myself you're worried about a bit of decking covering a manhole.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Push comes to shove cut a square out of the decking and fit a couple of joist hangers in to take the wooden cover that you make out of the decking.. Simples.. :p

In short you are panicking over nothing, keep your mouth shut, dont even mention it.

If anyone should say anything say Joe90 & his sidekick PrettyPeter advised you.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Me and a mate were involved with a company here in Bristol that made and fitted conservatories, our job was to build the base, brickwork concrete or whatever, we usually had two a day, so in the morning prep and then concrete in the afternoon, we got to one, cleared the turf and lo and behold a manhole cover that the surveyor had missed, the concrete wagon was pre booked, so while i'm still scratching my head my mate scatters some earth over the offending item, sorted.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: later that same day it was covered with 4" of concrete.

And i think to myself you're worried about a bit of decking covering a manhole.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Push comes to shove cut a square out of the decking and fit a couple of joist hangers in to take the wooden cover that you make out of the decking.. Simples.. :p

In short you are panicking over nothing, keep your mouth shut, dont even mention it.

If anyone should say anything say Joe90 & his sidekick PrettyPeter advised you.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have built 'many ' conservatories over a inspection chamber .No big deal at all.

I have built 'many ' conservatories over a inspection chamber .No big deal at all.

Why am i not surprised, thank you PP, when i read your reply i burst out laughing, you should be on stage, but lets be serious for a min. Tell me have you ever heard of "Building Regs"?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have built an oversized conservatory, at at least a metre to long, 4m.
Concreted over the gas and drains, so what :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Been to prison, can't hurt me much more. :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why am i not surprised, thank you PP, when i read your reply i burst out laughing, you should be on stage, but lets be serious for a min. Tell me have you ever heard of "Building Regs"?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Have you heard of a 'double sealed cover '? :LOL:

why am i not surprised too ?. :)

EEAW :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz,good job you are selling it......taking advice off some of these is like turkeys taking advice for xmas :D :D :D

I... Um.....

30294516.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back