Decking - can it be this simple?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

It's approaching decision time for our new garden, and I'm all for decking, but we'd like to not have a raised deck due to being overlooked. So, I'd like to sink the deck into the ground, as it were.

I've seen the 'Easy Deck-bearer' system, and like the look of it. This page shows pretty much what I want to do, but away from the house:

http://www.50connect.co.uk/index.as...ndgardens_index.asp?sc=gardeningtips&aID=4863

So here's my question: can I do the following without creating some monstrosity that's bound for the disasters board from the outset :LOL:

- Dig down 6-7cms
- Level the hole
- Lay membrane down (+ staple to frame once in?)
- Build and lay frame over the membrane
- Put gravel in the gaps between the frame
- Lay boards on top

I know I've oversimplified, I'm just trying to establish what's possible and what the 'gotchas' are. It's worth mentioning that 2 sides of the deck will be flush against existing paving slabs, which should help.

Thanks for helping a n00b out :D

Sponsored Links
When it rains, water will sit on the plastic and form pools between the joists, which will speed up the rotting of the timber.

If doing the same, I'd probably dig about 100mm deeper and line the bottom with plantex, use concrete blocks on their sides to raise the deck up, gravel in between, and sit the bearers on blocks.

yep - a frame on the soild will move and bounce as you'll never get it flat. Do as told abobe - sig some concrete blocks into the soil and, if you can be bothered to get 'em level with each other, put the frame on them. If not, drop posts down to the blocks and screw frame to those. You will probably want to tie it to the house to make sure it doesn't wander.

Sponsored Links
do they sell a barge pole to go with the kit as well.

it will rock and it will rot. For that money you can get some decent stuff from a builders or timber merchant and build a deck twice the size.

If you want any help just ask.

in fact i may have a photo of one of these i ripped out taht had been down for a couple of years. Ill try and find it to show how bad they are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back