Decking handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put the handrail up over a year ago and when I bolted the posts to the joist I did them up so tight the head just started to pull through the joists.

18 month on the the nuts on the bolts have come loose, but I obviosuly can't tighten the nut / bolt any more otherwise the head of the bolt will continue to pull through the joist. I used square washers on the nut end was I being a numpty for not using these on the bolt head?

Sponsored Links
The head bolt will need a washer, a large round washer might looks better unless you're not fussy :)

I assume with a big fat washer it wont pull through the wood and wont come undone in the future?

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to or can't fully remove the nut and bolt, you can always loosen it so that you can slip a couple of U washers under the head of the bolt. You can get these in various sizes and they are used when you can not fully remove a bolt to fit a washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back