Decoratively enclosing stuff on top of a cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mum isn't happy about storing stuff on top of a cupboard but we're not exactly rolling in storage space (if we were we'd stand up and put stuff in the vacated space). I think it would be neat to put some panels up there and I see some decorative stuff by searching for "ornate CNC panel". Can any of that stuff be bought cheaply? If not, I have access to a shared CNC mill/router and CNC laser cutter which I could apply to MDF or plywood. Maybe plywood would look nicest because it wouldn't need to be painted? I don't know how easily the laser burn marks sand off plus it wouldn't be abled to do rounded edges like the CNC mill/router.

2293871011045590609%253Faccount_id%253D1

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you can get panel/sheet timber pretty cheaply at your local timber merchant or places like selco etc... B&Q do sheet material too (and can cut it to size too) but expect to pay a bit more than other places. Other places probably offer a cutting service too.

Just remember to measure, measure again and triple check those measurements before cutting.

Sponsored Links
Have a good look at what is actually stored up there.
I see Xmas decorations, used only for a few weeks of the year - the rest of the year they can usually be stored in the loft space.

Just using the large plastic containers with lids on available at most outlets will make it look a bit better without going to the trouble of a new box and door.
Ideally the cost of the storage solution should not be more than the value of the items being stored, not too big to lift down safely.

i.e. = use http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/asda-flip-lid-storage-box-60l/001458528,default,pd.html

Doesn't look like a big enough space to warrant spending too much time & effort at it. My favourite shabby bodge for a wee space like that would be batten on the wall in line with near side of the cupboard, another one from ceiling to near corner, another one on the far wall. Get some 6mm MDF, cut to size for the panels (1 front. 1 side),paint the face of the MDF whatever colour/finish you like, staple/stick Velcro on the battens & on the reverse of the MDF, stick a corner trim on the corner (Velcro or glue one side) and job jobbed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back