Dementia-proof gas tap covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a way to stop an elderly lady from turning on the gas hob unsupervised. I've seen a few advertised, but then there's a disclaimer which says that some people become agitated and force the covers off - they are mainly meant to stop small children from playing with the knobs. There are four rings with four control knobs on this hob - her daily carers encourage her to heat up stuff in the microwave but she finds this increasingly difficult and so resorts to the gas hob, which she has left on on several occasions and once she forgot to light it!
She has promised not to use it unsupervised but her daughter (my neighbour) isn't convinced that she adheres to this. I mentioned this forum and she asked me to post the question here. The lady is not severely affected and copes well at home with support, but obviously one mistake with gas is one too many. Is there anyone here who has experience of this? The gas taps are on a flat surface, next to the hob - the carers use them when they are there but I expect that they could manage without. (The oven is electric but has been disabled for obvious reasons reasons). The dementia charity has a few suggestions but I know that a lot of you guys are very knowledgeable too.

Sponsored Links
Obviously I don’t know the layout of the kitchen, but would it be worth having an accessible (but hidden from dementia sufferer) isolation valve, so it can be turned off and on? Or do you think that would get her agitated?

Also I’m guessing it’s an older hob? New ones have flame supervision devices.

My mum had dementia, so commiserations. It's bloody horrible.

The council (occupational therapist?) arranged to fit a gas sniffer/detector. That's connected to a solenoid valve that cuts off the gas at the first whiff. It runs off a 13A plug under a unit so has to be switched back on to reset.

Get the hob changed to one with FSDs very readily available, in fact neaarly every hob has them now, that is flame supervision device, wont matter what she turns on , if it doesnt light no gas will be released

Sponsored Links
Would some well placed "reminder" notices suffice for the lady concerned?
If she is likely to respond to these, it may be a less "controlling" way of solving the issue, even if only for the short term, other measures could still be put in place but not utilised until required.

It might be easier and safer long term to fit an induction hob or cooker instead?

If she has dementia
then surely asking her to "promise" anything is a bit pointless!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back