Depth for electrical cable outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to run some cable from my house to the bottom of the garden where I will soon (I hope) have a new greenhouse. I'll get someone in the do the electrical bits, but in preparation I want to dig a trench for the cable to lie in. The top half of the garden is (and will be lawn). The bottom half is lawn but will soon be patio (sand + slabs). I've had a quick test dig, & I can get down to 40cm fairly easily but then its solid chalk (Sussex). So..

1) Will the pro consider 40cm to be deep enough under the lawn? Or do I need to buy a pickaxe, and go deeper?

2) And under the new patio, can it just be buried a bit below the sand (20cm ish)?

3) Also, will the cable be able to take lights, lawnmower, g/house heating & pond (but not all at once!)?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
1: it should be 450mm deep. so you dont have to go much into the harder stuff

2: it may be patio now, but it might not be in future. make it 450mm deep.

3: cables comeisvarious sizes. let your electrician recommend the best size cables for what you want

cdorling said:
Hi, I want to run some cable from my house to the bottom of the garden where I will soon (I hope) have a new greenhouse. I'll get someone in the do the electrical bits, but in preparation I want to dig a trench for the cable to lie in. The top half of the garden is (and will be lawn). The bottom half is lawn but will soon be patio (sand + slabs). I've had a quick test dig, & I can get down to 40cm fairly easily but then its solid chalk (Sussex). So..

1) Will the pro consider 40cm to be deep enough under the lawn? Or do I need to buy a pickaxe, and go deeper?

Not quite sure why you're asking us to predict what your electrician is going to say - why don't you ask him/her?

cdorling said:
2) And under the new patio, can it just be buried a bit below the sand (20cm ish)?

Almost certainly he/she will say no.

cdorling said:
3) Also, will the cable be able to take lights, lawnmower, g/house heating & pond (but not all at once!)?

Almost certainly he/she will say yes, and also stipulate armoured cable.

Can't help wondering what's going to terminate the cable at the end of the garden. Is there an outhouse/garage their in which you're going to house some switches for these appliances?

Thanks for replies. Not so much digging at one end then, but more at the other!

(Softus, I want to get a trench dug, then get the electrician round and say I want to go from A to B, trench is dug, how much?).

Sponsored Links
cdorling said:
Thanks for replies. Not so much digging at one end then, but more at the other!

(Softus, I want to get a trench dug, then get the electrician round and say I want to go from A to B, trench is dug, how much?).

Okaaaay. So A is the consumer unit, but B can't be mid-air. Is B another CU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back