Outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a quick question.

I am intending on installing an outdoor socket (encased in a ip rated weatherproof box) so that i can run pond equipment from it and the odd occasion a lawn mower or outdoor gardening equipment.

I have seen lots of these boxes in b and q and focus etc that house simply a 4 gang socket which you wire the cable yourself to run to the house to plug in etc.

My question is would it be ok to wire this 4 gang socket using armoured cable up the garden to a non used fuse spur that I have in my conservatory ?

Regards

Sponsored Links
I take you know outside wiring is notifiable?
Is it RCD protected?
Some of these boxes state on them NOT FOR PERMENT CONNECTIONS

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The box is simply a weatherproof box, which houses a simple 4 gang plug that you would have in any household that would be constantly on.

Are there any other alternatives around this for the same result to a fuse spur ?

Those sort of boxes are normally for christmas lights and things like that, where they're going to be there for a few weeks at the most - putting something like that in permanently wouldn't be a good plan.

What you want is a proper outdoor weatherproof socket, such as http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK56482.html (other makes and suppliers are available). It should be properly mounted on some sort of permanent structure, and run back. As this is outdoor work, it is notifiable under Part P of the building regs, so you're either going to have to pay your LABCs fee and have them inspect and test, or get a qualified spark in, the latter will probably be cheaper overall for you...

Also, out of interest, how did you intend to wire armoured cable in to a 4 gang socket?

Sponsored Links
Yes - an outdoor socket (MK Masterseal virtually de rigeur) securely fixed to something permanent, supplied via SWA either properly buried or also securely fixed to something permanent.

I have looked at your suggested options before but felt I needed a larger number of plugs than 2, this is why a 4 gang housed inside a weatherproof box was ideal, it would also give me space to house an ac adapter for say low voltage lighting and would easily openable on sunny days to plug the lawn mower in.

I will of course be getting an electrician to do all the connections and fitting but i would be sourcing the equipment to use.

Thanks for the replies

Two double outdoor sockets next to each other?

You'd be hard pushed to find an electrician that would wire up something permanent in one of those temporary weatherproof boxes (if you do find someone, I'd be very worried about the quality of their work!).

Housing a transformer would be a bad idea as well, as it would be generating some amount of heat, which would even further reduce the life of the box. Do you have a shed or similar that you could put the transformers in - that would be far better - just put a couple of normal sockets inside, and a weatherproof socket outside ready for lawnmowers etc.

If not, then depending on distance, put the transformers indoors, and just run ELV cable to the actual lights...

I would be sourcing the equipment to use.
Even though your electrician will be able to get it cheaper than you can?

How odd.

Even after the electrician has added his/her mark up? I had a spark around to quote for fitting some kitchen downlighters. I showed the ones I was after from Screwfix and he said I may as well get them as he couldn't get them any cheaper.

Even after the electrician has added his/her mark up?
So, you're an electrician, and you've worked out that you need to make £200 from a job so that you can cover all your costs and have enough left over to pay the bills, feed your children etc.

You make some of that £200 from charging for your labour, and some from materials markup.

If your customer takes away the latter, what are you going to do?

I had a spark around to quote for fitting some kitchen downlighters. I showed the ones I was after from Screwfix and he said I may as well get them as he couldn't get them any cheaper.
Was he not VAT registered then?

Even after the electrician has added his/her mark up?
So, you're an electrician, and you've worked out that you need to make £200 from a job so that you can cover all your costs and have enough left over to pay the bills, feed your children etc.

You make some of that £200 from charging for your labour, and some from materials markup.

If your customer takes away the latter, what are you going to do?

I had a spark around to quote for fitting some kitchen downlighters. I showed the ones I was after from Screwfix and he said I may as well get them as he couldn't get them any cheaper.
Was he not VAT registered then?

He was a part P registered electrician whose details I got from the competent person website. So are you telling me you do not add any mark up to materials? If a customer aks for 8 downlighters to be fitted into a kitchen, you travel "x" many miles round trip, queue for 10 mins and charge the customer EXACTLY what you paid for them?

You've just proved my point.

All of those overheads have to be paid for.

If you deny the electrician any markup on materials he'll have to find another route to charge you the money he needs to pay for them.

I wonder what is the only route left to him?

You've just proved my point.

All of those overheads have to be paid for.

If you deny the electrician any markup on materials he'll have to find another route to charge you the money he needs to pay for them.

I wonder what is the only route left to him?

I am not against the trades person adding a mark up to the materials. I was only querying your comment that the electrician could get the same products cheaper. After the mark up, it would probably be cheaper for the customer to get his own materials. Downside to the customer getting his own materials is if the unit fails in 2 months, they will have the responsibility to take it back and get it exchanged. At least if the electrician supplies and fits it and 2 months later one blows, the responsibility then falls onto the electrican. Swings and roundabouts really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back