Design help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

I want to build a sliding gate to block my kitchen off from my dog.

My idea is to have a sliding gate that shall be flat against the wall when open, then slide over to block the opening and lock some way to other wall.

I'm good with carpentry but don't know how to design it. Can anyone help with ideas at all?

Many thanks

Robo

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can think of is a door sized frame made of suitably sized timber, with a "gate" covering the bottom half. You could then hang this on sliding door gear.
Personally I'd do as suggested above, and use a child safety gate.

A couple of full extension drawer runners fitted to the wall could hold a simple panel that slid back and forth.

Sponsored Links
I would use a child gate but the gap is oversized and I want something slightly higher.

What's the best design for the runners?

I recently bought a wardrobe sliding door kit with top and bottom tracks. You can get them cheaply. The top track is deeper than the bottom one so you can lift door up into it and drop it down to rest on bottom one.
The doors have small plastic or nylon bits on them to slide along the tracks so the actual door doesnt get worn. You can buy track purpose made in diy shops.
You probably know all this already, if so, sorry. I am assuming there is space at the side of the gap where the door can slide when open.
VW

Thanks for the replys. I'm thinking of simply attaching a 'L' shaped runner top and bottom to hold the wood in place. The wood will be sliding on the wood runner. Is this ok?

What will you use to make it slide then? and avoid friction of wood on wood.
Candle grease, ball-bearings.Castors?
Will be interested to know how it works out.
Good luck.

alternatively just buy a barn door and fit that, you can then close just the bottom half..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back